We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Smoke Alarms ~ Do I replace

wee eddie
Resolved

Likes # 0

My battery powered Smoke Alarm is 10 next month.

It works well and is Tested regularly, sometimes too well as even Toast seems to set ot off on occasion, but I need to take it down to repaint the ceiling.

Should I get a new one?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

There is always that old saying wee eddie, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Yes

Most experts recommend discarding after 10 years Click here

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you replace, you should be OK for the next 10 years.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

'Most experts' , One of the most misused phrases in the dictionary.

Most experts would not know what to do if it stood up and bit them on the rear-end.

If it works OK, then keep it, just test it on a regular basis. it is possibly more reliable than a new one

Terry

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

For what they cost buy a new one. It might save your life.

Thanks for the reminder. I bet mine is as old.

Amazon 10 year Lithium Battery

Must place an order....

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If it still works - keep it - just hoover it to get rid of dust accumulated - I would get another one also , just to be on the safe side.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Smoke Detectors use a small amount of radioactive material in the detecting bit, over a period, as with all radioactive substances, this decays and becomes less effective.

10 years seems to be the usually stated lifetime, in fact many of the new ones are sealed with a 10 year battery in place.

Annoyingly my smoke detector batteries reached the low point around 3am this morning, and it's not just a beep, no it goes BEEP "Batteries Low", BEEP "Batteries Low", so out with the ladder and I pull it off the ceiling to find it uses 3 x AA batteries, which is a pain because they come in packs of 4.

http://www.hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q4071.html

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Give it a clean, when I took one of mine down to paint the ceiling it was full of dust and grime, I blew the ionisation chamber out with dry compressed air and brushed the dirt off the circuit board. I have put this particular one on the landing upstairs as it is very sensitive to grilled sausage whereas another make seems to not detect sausages but works well with lamb chops.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Terry Brown

Would i take the opinion of fire industry experts over yours - of course I would

The small outlay for a smoke detector or dying in a fire, hard decision that!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"it uses 3 x AA batteries, which is a pain because they come in packs of 4."

I usually buy mine in packs of 40/48 from 7DayShop

Bulk Batteries

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...