We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slow Speed Cameras?

Colin

Likes # 0

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2011/7/21/uk-motorists-call-for-the-introduction-of-a-slow-speed-camera/40176/

I don't see it ever happening, but I can see the point some people are making. The speed limit is not a target, but there are cases of drivers travelling too slowly that cause frustration leading to accidents.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

This will be picked up by the next generation of traffic cameras, that will be able to pick up tail-gating and under-taking.

There isn't a minimum speed on motorways, but your vehicle must be capable of maintaining a speed in excess of 40mph in order to enter a motorway.

I have heard of police pulling over cars that are driving too slow on the grounds that they're a hazard to other traffic, there's nothing worse than popping into the nearside lane to let a speeding car past only to find that you have to slam on the anchors because you've rapidly caught up with a Nissan Micra being driven at 40mph...

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"Suggestions included: imposing a minimum speed limit on all British roads (37%); the introduction of a slow lane (26%); dedicated times for slow drivers to be on the road (15%)"

Sounds easy, but defining what slow speed is would be a nightmare. When you pull away from staionary you are going too slow , presumably, until you get to whatever the magic number is! 'Slow lanes' - extra lane building on all roads?? That would create masses of jobs, of course, but hardly fits the government austerity drive! Only being allowed out at certain times? have to define slow driver, again!

Noticed it was a 'fleet' website, commercial travellers!!

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

I was surprised to learn that it is an offence in Australia to drive at below the speed limit. This arose because an elderly friend there failed her annual driving testfo driving at 50kph in a 60kph zone. It was a two-lane road and she was on the inside lane. Apparently there was uite a lot of traffic and she was deemed to be causing undue delay to other drivers. I am told that there has probably never been a prosecution, however. The Germans call a slow-moving traffic stream a Verkehrssclange (a traffic snake). They say that the diference between that and a snake is that the a**e of a snake is at the back.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

One of the biggest frustrations are members of CLOC on the motorways, if the inside lane is clear, move over will yer?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Minimum speed signs are white numbers on a blue background circular sign. They are few and far between, but if memory serves correct they are at the approach to the dartford tunnel. 10-15mph, sometrhing like that. I cant be bothered to look on streetview though. I have seen them elsewhere on the public highway, but cannot remember where. No doubt it will come to me in bed tonight.

WTM

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I Do not drive slow though 75 I used to be boy racer.. As I can concentrate better at higher speeds. But that is not an Excuse to penalise slow drivers, the Ones that get irritated are the ones who drive recklessly and kill others these are the ones that are the problem and need to get to grips with there patience, and if they do not they should be taken of the road, as should all drink drivers. They should lose there licence for good.

PS I get annoyed at slow drivers, but I have to wait. There is a difference in a Slow Driver and a Slow Bad driver

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I take it this only applies to London and the like.

The rest of the country is rapidly coming up to the festival known as the Combine Harvester Procession.

Also can't wait to see it applied to the many miles of "Single Track Road, with Passing Places" Which I regularly get to travel over!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Slow Driving Speed Camera's

I was driving when I saw the flash of a traffic camera. I figured that my picture had been taken for exceeding the limit even though I knew that I was not speeding. Just to be sure, I went around the block and passed the same spot, driving even more slowly, but again the camera flashed.

Now I began to think that this was quite funny, so I drove even slower as I passed the area once more, but the traffic camera again flashed.

I tried a fourth and fifth time with the same results and was now laughing as the camera flashed while I rolled past at a snail's pace.

Two weeks later, I got five tickets in the mail for driving without a seat belt.

You know, you just can't fix stupid.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

I have seen them elsewhere on the public highway, but cannot remember where

Seem to remember that the Blackwall Tunnel has/used to have 10mph minimum speed limit signs. A bit academic considering the traffic holdups through there on most days.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

buteman

Was the camera you kept passing one of the 'fixed' roadside boxes, or were you 'playing' with a mobile unit activated by an operator in situ?

I will be staggered if a fixed camera can be set to recognise seat-belt wearing alone - and from what you say that must be happening.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED