We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

If only Gordon Brown had waited....

canarieslover
Resolved

Likes # 0

....we may have been a bit better off. Gold at record high

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

and if Maggie hadn't squandered all the hundreds of billions of oil revenue and sales from assets of utilities and banks. We would be in clover.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

" Gold at record high"

Apparently not at some cash for gold places. A recent investigation by various Trading Standards and consumer advice outlets, strongly suggests that the prices being offered are far well below the going fair rate.

In fact, some of these places have been told that they must get their act sorted, or face possible prosecutions.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Does that mean when I go to the dentist and he fits me with another gold crown the price will be significantly higher?(I've got three already..the last one 2 years ago cost about 150 quid).

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

canarieslover

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

And you don't think that a couple of hundred tonnes of gold hitting the market would drop the price somewhat.

Which is something that Clegg doesn't seem to have considered with the proposed share offer for the part-nationalised banks.

We'll all get £1,000 of shares for example, and once the price hits a certain point we can sell them and the Government gets the £1,000 and the seller gets the profit, less the share dealers commission. I wonder if Clegg has realised that the minute the price goes above the threshold a massive number of the shares will hit the market, immediately dropping the value...

Like this post  
canarieslover

Likes # 0

alan14text It was only to show that hindsight is far better than a crystal ball, plus a bit of wishful thinking.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

'In fact, some of these places have been told that they must get their act sorted, or face possible prosecutions.'

I presume these words were uttered by yet another of the countries many 'of' bodies. why cannot these people not just act instead of issuing an implied threat,which no company takes a blind bit of notice of.Oops silly me I forgot they were just set up so the great unwashed felt that the government actually gave a dam. These toothless bodies are a waste of space and money.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I don't think that Gordon Brown will be that happy.

As Chancellor of the Exchequer, he flogged about half of this Country's Gold Reserve, when the price was at a record low.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Incidentally: for those that seem to think that one Party is good and the other bad.

That Gold Reserve was built-up/increased by Maggie Thatcher, not squandered.

In Politics there is rarely one "Correct" Option. You just choose one that, in your opinion, has fewer downsides than all the others.

All Politicians, ultimately, want a favourable mention in the History Books

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

It was only to show that hindsight is far better than a crystal ball

John Major > ERM > black Wednesday. Bet he wishs he had hindsight before we joined. click here

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

Sorry wrong google link to the ERM

"Newspapers also revealed that the Treasury spent £27bn of reserves in propping up the pound."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015