We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another unsolicited telephone caller

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

but this one is not very nice at all!!

The number that came up on the 'phone was 08450 044237.

We had the call around 7:30pm today and my wife answered. The line was a bit poor - very crackly. The caller was phishing for any information he could get but wanted to provide nothing. Needless to say the call was cut off very quickly.

I Googled the number and found many hits on it (08450044237) the link is was quite typical.

My suggestion is that if you see this number on your handset/'phone cut the call as soon as possible.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Missed a key. Should be ".. is/was ..".

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I guess that's why they are called nuisance calls. Are you registered with TPS? that does eventually cut down on the cold calls.

Like this post
n47.

Likes # 0

We have caller ID and do not answer calls from any 0800 or 0845 numbers. They are usually computer dialed numbers that hang up after a few rings.

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

I have caller ID and a phone with barring facility. Even British Gas gave up after a while.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

For TPS to work the caller also needs to be registered with them I believe. I doubt if this particular crowd would bother with the niceties.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Every company in the UK has to comply with the rules laid down by Ofcom, this means that they a) have to release CLI data on all outgoing sales calls so that Caller ID picks up a number, this does not need to be the number the call was originated from, it could be a customer service or reception number, b) they should cease calling any numbers from people who have explicitly told them to stop calling, and c) they should not deliberately call anyone who is listed on the TPS database

The Ofcom rules only cover calls originating within the UK, but they do have some teeth if the calls are coming from within the EU. Calls from the rest of the world are not covered by the rules.

I have an answering machine that is happy to take calls from withheld or international numbers, and any numbers I don't want to answer. It's surprising how few callers leave messages...not...

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Really?

I have been registered with TPS for over 3 years and still get calls. When I complain all they say is that I will have to listen to the whole call, get the caller's number / company name and then report that specific call to TPS.

The reason for registering with TPS was to STOP those calls, NOT do TPS' job for them. If I was paying for that "service" I would be demanding my money back!

Rant over. Thanks for listening!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

HondaMan

TPS can only act against a company if they know who they are, as yet they've not got the crystal ball working.

Companies will always try it on, and can do so with impunity if people don't report offenders to the authorities...

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

From the TPS confirmation letter: "Your TPS registration will not stop calls from companies involved in market research and other activities not related to selling. To stop these calls, you will have to advise each company individually when they contact you that you do not wish to be contacted by them by telephone in future."

I think that the TPS list applies only to members of the Direct Marketing Association, but I'm open to correction on that point.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

How to send an app or iBook as a gift in iOS 8 for Christmas