We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Met Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson quits

john 52

Likes # 0

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

You don't arrest Police Officers, just before you arrive they sign off on permanent Sick Leave, Fully Paid, of course!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Please remember that Rebekah Brooks has been arrested for questioning - as far as I'm aware she hasn't as yet been charged with anything. Until and unless that happens we'll have no further posts along the lines of "Brooks arrested for corrupt payments to police officers".

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

It's strange, isn't it, how one can get an impression of someone without having even met them.

I've never met Mrs Brooks, I'm sure she's a very nice person who is kind to children and dumb animals, yet there is just something intangible about her which gets my back up.

Strange old world.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm curious. How normal is it to arrest someone, yet not charge them. And if someone surrenders thenselves of their own free will for questioning then is an arrest appropriate? Or is an arrest merely a device (in this case) to prevent someone from picking up their marbles and going home when the fancy took them?

WTM

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I have not heard the old chesnut "I have done nothing wrong" from any of those people under investigation. Maybe they can't say that with a straight face.People who fall on their swords (resign) usually have been 'pushed' by circumstances beyond their control.It now seems (to me) that spin doctors are a thing of the past and Grand Master Chess Players might be employed by governments and big tycoons to get them out of sticky situations.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

My apologies.

I did have a press link which said she had been arrested "for" corruption.

Unfortunately it has now been updated.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I cant believe that the Commissioner took a bung of a 5 week holiday from news of the world, had one of his pc's done this he would be sacked and prosecuted hope the Commissioner is investigated and if the evidence there send him to court.

why was he allowed to resign without being investigated first.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

This is becoming like a 'House of Cards' collapsing.

Interesting that Boris 'held the gun' to Sir Paul's head, then he, in turn, drags the PM back into the fray with his Coulson remarks - could Boris possibly be making his play to be PM, eventually??

Stranger things have happened....

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Sunnystaines

Stephenson received a gift of five weeks stay in Champonys Spa from the owner, with whom he was a personal friend.

Champonys employed the ex NOTW deputy editor Wallis in a PR role.

Stephenson declared the gift as required.

Was it wise - no

Was it corrupt - no

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"why was he allowed to resign without being investigated first."

Old boys network? Got to look after your own.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days