We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Met Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson quits

john 52

Likes # 0

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Sunnystaines

Stephenson received a gift of five weeks stay in Champonys Spa from the owner, with whom he was a personal friend.

Champonys employed the ex NOTW deputy editor Wallis in a PR role.

Stephenson declared the gift as required.

Was it wise - no

Was it corrupt - no

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"why was he allowed to resign without being investigated first."

Old boys network? Got to look after your own.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The person who really needs to do he "honourable thing" is David Cameron.

He employed Coulson and courted favour with News International to receive their endorsement at the 2010 election.

With power comes responsibility - his responsibility is to the country and he must go.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

WTM

In many cases of white collar crime the arrest is made my appointment as they're not considered a flight risk.

They are indeed arrested so they cannot just get up and leave during questioning. The release at the end of questioning will be under bail conditions, so they can be recalled at any time for further questioning.

The problem is that once a person is charged the Police can go no further, the whole case is handed over to the Crown, so until the police feel they can get no more out someone they'll keep releasing them on police bail. I'm surprised they've not tried to tie a case of Taliban phone hacking into this so they can hold someone for 28 days.

Possibly the most surprising thing for me is that she was arrested on a Sunday. The officers in Operation Weeting generally work standard office hours, Monday to Friday, 9 - 5, so for them to come in on a Sunday is very unusual, especially seeing as it was also the conclusion of the Open :-)

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

...and even with that 'endorsement' he only managed a coalition.

Wonder if he now feels it was hardly worth the candle, in the famous 'hindsight', of course?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...because he had no-one to answer to until it hit the fan?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[In many cases of white collar crime the arrest is made my appointment as they're not considered a flight risk.]

True looks as though she had a few days notice that she was going to be arrested by appointment.

But I am sure she would have been accompanied by her lawyer and would not answer questions that may incriminate her.

Also Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson quits and a little quip from him saying that he did the correct thing in resigning not like the Prime Minister.

So reading between the lines it looks like he was forced to resign.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

forum member

I agree that simply registering the gift does not make it right and believe that Stephenson has showed incredibly poor judgement is accepting such a gift. It does not necessarily make him "corrupt" as others have suggested. It does bring into question those who supervise the register at the Yard.

On the point of Rebekah Brooks arrest. Last Tuesday whilst giving evidence to the select committee DAC Sue Akers declined to answer a question that could have prejudiced her investigation.

Consider a possible explanation-

Brooks was invited to appear on Wednesday and accepted. I can imagine the concerns the investigation team would now have. Questions they may wish to put to her could be asked by the committee first in a public forum. Would they have sought legal advice on this position?

On Friday the investigation team invite Brooks to attend the police station. On Sunday she is arrested and interviewed.

Her appearance before the committee may now result in her being able to answer in a way that will not be to the detriment of the criminal investigation.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

* I just don't understand how Sir Paul could have thought it was OK to take a gift like this.*

I agree, in fact most public bodies have a register but it is supported by policy guidance which in effect says that a tatty old pen or similar might be OK but other things absolutely not.

The test is always would a "reasonable person", knowing the facts, think there could be influence exerted either now or in the future as a result of the gift.

The best and easiest route is to accept nothing.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It would appear that some people are blaming Cameron for all this, yet was it not Blair and Brown who were in power when these type of stories were unfolding?.

With regards to arrests and bail, isn't there something in the pipeline about this, and how the police might have their hands tied on future investigations, if the new proposed changes are made?.

With regards to 'freebies' to police officer's and many other 'establishment' personel. This was once a very much frowned on event, but when 'community' came into the job role, relaxations were possibly made. It became a well known fact, that in some areas, the job gave advantages, especially if you were the last customer in the local take-away etc. The bigger the position you held, the likelihood of 'corporate care' came into the equation. I suppose its a bit like the local Lord Mayor or dignitary, being invited to a charity event?.

Whatever the case, we have heard all this in the past, and will do so in the future, but of cause 'Lessons will be learned', as always, or until the next time.

I noticed that even Jeremy Clarkson got into the act with his Saturday Sun newspaper column, which appeared to take up the whole article in defending one particular person!.

Perhaps one question that should be asked, by resigning, should this be classed as honourable, or an incentive to a golden handshake with far less aggravation?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback