We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Spare a thought for over 1000 still without a line in Gloucester.

Diemmess

Likes # 0

As far as I know this item has not made headlines at all link text

Have you ever had just silence from your phone and the internet, and had to wait for ever (it seemed) before repairs were made and lifestyle returned to normal?

My telephone was first installed by two BT men with ladders about 3.0pm on a gloomy December Saturday afternoon in 1987. They were clearly on overtime, and finished in very short visit before dark. A very long wire hung between my house and a short pole on the other side down the lane. The droop of the wire coincided with a significant high spot on the road, and the clearance was way below standard.

Never mind, it lasted nearly 25 years and then a very large tractor towing three part hay spinner collected the wire which snapped and sprung back into a neat coil below my house. BT were informed. Next morning an engineer came, said it would be fixed and meanwhile diverted all incoming calls to my mobile. Memory of the timing goes dim but Open Reach called with very fancy measuring devices declared most of the poles nearby substandard, and would need planning approval (BT not local council thank God). The next vans on site were a Siemans sub-contractor and lots of activity in the lane.

Eight days of bewilderment and expensive outgoing calls (PAYG on mobile) and withdrawal symptoms from the net. I'm particularly sorry for businesses and BT radio mouthpiece this morning is still talking as though the middle of next week might be here before they have restored all lines.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This type of incident attracts attention, as does the increase of having underground cables stolen. About two miles from where I live, this as happened on a number of occasions. Happened earlier this week, and it disrupted services for most of the week.

I know this as nothing to do with the Severn Trent mole, but when cables are replaced in our area, they now undergo a 'smart water' exercise, with notices nearby, informing people that this as happened. The same applies to power cables and sub-stations!.

Modern living and a fast buck?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia