We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot/Talking Point 485

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All. Last one tonight is a GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARD, plain back, postally unused so no clues! click here

My views are that those machines resemble those gadgets for tumbling/polishing pebbles, albeit on a much larger scale?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

How about drums for transatlantic/ocean phone cable?

The period woulld be about right. Those massive bearings are presumably needed to carry such a weight of cable. Cannot explain why the drum on the right is hoisted so high!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I've not got a clue but have a question about the picture. Is that a ghost just to the right of the higher big drum or roller or whatever it is? There seems to be a face looking down at the two workers below. Are the other two men standing by the lower drum foremen? (They are able to afford pocket watches and Alberts!!!)

Whatever is in the drums looks very heavy to me, but I don't know why I think that, they may contain nothing at all. Perhaps they are just drums being made or maybe even barrels for large amounts of booze or maybe Stilton cheeses???

Does this answer qualify as one of the daftest ever?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Bingalau,Not yet but I'm sure you are working on it ;o}} Sudden thought, could be drums to contain cooked spaghetti for fast food outlets ;o}}

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

It looks as if the wooden outer bits being held in place by steel bands, are just a form of protection to whatever is contained therein. It certainly looks very heavy whatever it is. Could they be concrete bases for metal girders to be mounted on? I am thinking of bridge building.

Don't worry Brumas I will get there with a stupid answer...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't think that anything is wrapped around the outside or inside of the large rollers. The one on the top right is mounted high up with a smaller roller being lowered/raised into position. Still think that this part of a paper mill. See another paper roller for comparison link text

Like this post
ashdav

Likes # 0

I think they are for sheet material. Cable drums have sides (cheeks) on them to prevent overspill. The large diameter would make them inefficient for storage so they are more likely to be for processing.

Like this post
ashdav

Likes # 0

Another point is that the large roller on the right is driven by gears which would indicate that whatever goes around the drum has low tensile strength, Paper is looking most likely.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

It is definitely a paper mill. I am still having problems posting links, but when I go to the images section of Google and search on Woking paper mill, the first picture to be listed shows the set up and was taken in the 1890's. That is what happens on my PC anyway. It seems that paper is wrapped around the large top roller and fed onto the smaller, lower rollers.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I agree with FM, only with that link, they're making right to left Oriental paper rather than standard European left to right paper.

But I'm sure the main process will be just the same.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite