We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Deleted post thank you

Housten
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good morning,

I don’t know if I am being correct or not, but nevertheless I would like to thank 'sunnystaines' , 'Fruit Bat /\0/\’ and 'Crosstrainer2' for their replies to my ‘rant’ on Wednesday! Neither they nor anyone else can see my post or their posts as they have all been deleted. I have waited until now before posting this as I complained to the FE about the deletions but have so far not had a reply. So although I do not know whether or not any of you agreed or disagreed with me I would – at least – like to thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply. In addition I would like to say that whilst I think Rupert Murdoch has never been a ‘fit and proper’ person to have so much power and control over not only the British media I have noted with interest the comments on ‘Newsnight’ last night that he will refute many of the comments so far raised in the House of Commons about him, including the person named in my post! I am not naming him as I think it likely that if I do this post will be deleted as well. As a final note I don’t know/am not aware of any ramifications for myself at the moment, but if there are I can only hope that there are no such things for the three posters. If there are please accept my profound apologies as there was absolutely no intent on my part to make trouble for myself and especially anyone else.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

I have received no email of complaint from you, if I had I would have responded.

Your thread was deleted because it contained at least two defamatory statements. I have been travelling, and deleted your post whilst sitting in a busy and very noisy airport - there wasn't time to send you an explanatory email, and for that I apologise.

Post deletions happen for various reasons; it's hardly the end of the world, but where potential libel is involved I will act rapidly, and sometimes - due to pressure of work - there isn't time to observe the niceties. Don't take it so personally.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

There you are Housten,now you know!

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Forum Editor,

Thank you for your reply. After reading that you hadn't had my email I couldn't believe it, so I went into sky, which we have to use whenever 'Outlook' is the programme used for an outgoing email. I had used the 'Contact Forum Editor' box ( at the top of every page ) and so could not see why you had not received the email. But sky - which we have to use ( for the time being anyway) - did not have the email - either in the 'Inbox' or the 'Sent' box, and I can only accept that it must have disappeared somewhere between my computer and sky. I can therefore only apologise for complaining of not getting a reply from you when you didn't get the email in the first place.

May I also say that as far as I was concerned I was not aware that the site was liable for any and all content. As far as I was concerned in my post if I wasn't quoting facts I was giving my personal opinion and that I thought that this was obvious. The forum is called 'Speakers Corner' and I was under the impression that that was exactly what was meant. I must therefore also apologise if I, inadvertently or not, rendered the site liable to any action by others, but this doesn't change my opinion with regard to the comments I made!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you use our forum to post a defamatory statement about a named individual, or even a group of people, and that person or group of people initiate a libel action, we (the magazine) can be held to be 'jointly and severally' liable. That means we'll be in court with you.

That has never happened during my time as Forum Editor, and if I have anything to do with it that's the way it's going to stay. This means there will be occasions when I upset someone; it's regrettable, but it's inevitable. You can't state your opinion about someone as fact, unless you can produce evidence to show that what you say is right.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

You dont have to use your sky email address,there are plenty of other options.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Lot of drama for one deleted post, if I might make so bold.

We've all, or at least a lot of us, have had them.

Like this post  
Housten

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Thanks for your reply, BUT I must say I have never had a post - with the replies it had received - deleted previously. It was a bit of a 'rant' about a particular politician and his hypocrisy, but I do not understand why it was deleted AND I did not get the chance to see whether - or not - the replies agreed with me. I am slightly less angry about it today, but I am still very annoyed - and disappointed - that it was done. No doubt many will disagree with me but I am of an age when I am not exactly stressed out about that sort of behaviour!!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Posts are deleted if there is any chance that they may contain actionable statements.

FE quite rightly errs on the side of caution, because as the publisher the website would be held liable.

The forum rules state that FE can delete posts without prior warning. Sometimes he'll let you know why he's done it, and sometimes he won't, depends how busy he is.

I had a post deleted yesterday by accident while FE was correcting a very big mistake I'd made, mixing up Murdoch & Maxwell's names, but he apologised. I've had posts deleted before for linking to a humour site that's a little sweary, and I've threads deleted that I really wish I hadn't started, but I really don't lose sleep over it. FE's silver deleting mouse is what's kept this forum going strong for so long...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If you haven't received your T shirt by Tuesday, I'll send you one of mine. I've got quite a few now:)

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Sometimes he'll let you know why he's done it, and sometimes he won't, depends how busy he is.

Good manners say he should advise the OP even if only to avoid committing the samre offence again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia