We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

stop spiders webs

bobbybowls

Likes # 0

hi anybody know how to stop spiders making webs over my external web-cam?

Like this post
bobbybowls

Likes # 0

ok so the bleach didn't work. the problem i am having is at night the infrared LEDs reflect back off of the web and all you see is the web. daytime is fine.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Ok. What about a feather duster on a long pole? Then a skoosh of water from a hose.Try once a day (or night) for a week.Your neighbours might be mystified though.How high up is it?

Like this post
bobbybowls

Likes # 0

brushing it away doesn't work it is back the next night. the camera is about 4m up on the gable end. the camera is one of these http://www.y-cam.com/y-cam-black-sd in an external mount. we have it set to email a photo when movement is detected. at night there is a constant stream of emails of the spider and its web.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It is said that Spiders do not like Conkers, I keep some in the house at all times and it appears to deter them.

Try nailing one to the lens.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Agree with wee eddie.

They don't like horse chestnuts according to legend.

Don't know where you'll get any at this time of the year though!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Tried the cling film yet?

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

I love spiders, always have and have never knowingly killed one. Watching a spider spin it's web is one of the most fascinating sights in nature. Im sure bobbybowls spiders will soon find somewhere else to spin their webs.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

What about Fly Glue Traps (sticky fly paper) Placed on and around the camera. The product I use by PestShield does work for me. " effective indoors & outdoors". The spiders might become lazy ( due to fly mountain and down tools )leaving your lens-area free of webs. The spiders might not like walking over the sticky surface hopefully.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Or you could install one (or more) of those little whirley imitation flowers you get in the pound shops (I got inspiration watching the two on my plantless verandah tonight - is it the start of a wind farm?..no.) It might look stupid but ...what the heck. It might deter flying insects and the spiders will catch a cold waiting for dinner. The vibrational... (I always wanted to use that word)... forces might give the spiders a headache and force them go to another (less well defended) webcam.

Like this post
bobbybowls

Likes # 0

Hi guys sorry about the delay in updating this post. I have been experimenting with various methods. bleach, washing up liquid, cooking oils (sunflower olive etc), lip balm, deodorant, shampoo, hand cream etc. None of the household methods worked. So out to the garage. Double sided tape, motor oil, turps, grease, course sand paper, steel wool. Again nothing worked. It must be a prime fly catching spot. As soon as I remove one spider another appears within a day or two. I'm wondering if the infrared led's are attracting the flys and therefore the spiders at night so I will turn them off tonight and see.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback