We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

stop spiders webs

bobbybowls

Likes # 0

hi anybody know how to stop spiders making webs over my external web-cam?

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

Well it is a WEB cam – What do you expect!

Joking aside perhaps you could put something on or near the camera that they don’t like. I suggest trying different substances say mothballs, garlic or disinfectant. If all else fails you’ll just have to periodically brush the webs away.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Confab

LOL, stand up comedy, you missed your calling......Seriously though, I don't mind spiders, but if you take a paint brush and around the area where your camera is mounted " Surround it with a thin application of Bleach. My wife was terrified of spiders, and this always worked for me.

Like this post
bobbybowls

Likes # 0

ok thanks guys. brushing away doesn't work its back the next day. i will try the bleach tomorrow and post back if it works.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2, pardon my asking but did you paint a ring of bleach for your wife to stand inside of so that she would be safe from spiders? ;-) seems a bit extreme...

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

lotvic

Kris was only scared of 2 things....Spiders, and swimming...the latter due to a bad childhood experience. But the fear of spiders was the most extreme I have ever seen, I came up with the idea because I didn't want to kill them, just deter.

Upnuntil the day she died she remained frightened of them.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I live in a "close" in Glasgow...it's an apartment block. Every so often I go down with a broom and pretend I'm Frodo Baggins and kill everything in sight...especially Big Spiders.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

A world without spiders

would soon have no human beings in it - we need them more than many people realise. Web spinning spiders need to do it to survive, and they are very determined. They do us no harm whatsoever, so try to leave them in peace if you can.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I agree with the FE, every September "my" spiders come in for the winter, they breed and then depart ( or most do) in the springtime.

Some live their entire lives inside....House spiders. I have seen some shoppers here too, but we live a happy co-existence, and they are welcome. They keep down flies, gnats and the like, which living so close to the river, we have in large numbers.

If I find one on one of my guitars, I gently remove it to a windowsill or other location. They are welcome here!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

To be fair to bobbybowls, at no time did he mention getting rid of spiders, just their webs.

Seems little point in having a webcam if you can't see anything with it because of spiders' webs.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Cling film across the face of the housing, spiders wont weave a web across a surface.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...