We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New ISP Suggestions

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well, as I have now restored my router to a virtually default state, got rid of junk that was hogging bandwidth, I thought I would sit back and have a look at the O/S I will be using from Thursday:

Apple Lion Demo

But my bandwidth is frustratingly slow.....I have concluded that after years of refusing to let people drill holes in my home, attempt to sell me TV packages I don't want etc. I am going to have to find a new high speed ISP

I have only 2 options that I am aware of in my area. Virgin or BT.

I don't like either of them, but copper wire is just not going to work for me anymore.

I need to:

1) Keep my existing phone number and email address, without false promises.

2) A 20mb connection minimum

3) No TV packages or hard sell time-wasting pitches from overzealous sales people.

Any Ideas?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Alan 14

Yes I checked, the only service provider with true high speed is VM. I'm happy with talk talk, the phone package is great, but they cant provide the speeds I now require.

It's a bit like that sewer thread that was running last week, where I explained I live in quite a unique semi flood plain reclaimed area, we had a private company pipe gas to us a few years back. Transco wouldn't touch it.

Although I am only a mile from my exchange, VM have a total straanglehold on the high speed BB here. Most of my neighbours are with them, I know, because I set all the networks up..... It will become an issue, but I will have to live with it for now, have a lot of things going on over the next few weeks!

Seems my life is either really quiet, or really busy these days!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

We're the same, only AOL & Talk Talk can provide high speed connections, but they're the same company...

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

alan 14

Yep AOL provides the infrastructure. I am going to have to change, as i need the ability to upload large video and music files....It's a shame really...Like I said, I've always been happy with the phone package rom Talk Talk, and it's not their fault that I am copperbound!

It's such a hassle changing....Make endless lists of people to inform, bank, utilities, email contacts friends etc. My major concern is the overseas side of things.....I know I run the risk of having to make expensive overseas phone calls to some.

Many I can Facetime....Which is free on my own wifi, and people will spread the word, but it's still a lot of grief I could do without!

I won't be doing it for a mont or so....New imac, network re-build is going to occupy the next few weeks, but in the end I will have to cave in!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination