We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New ISP Suggestions

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well, as I have now restored my router to a virtually default state, got rid of junk that was hogging bandwidth, I thought I would sit back and have a look at the O/S I will be using from Thursday:

Apple Lion Demo

But my bandwidth is frustratingly slow.....I have concluded that after years of refusing to let people drill holes in my home, attempt to sell me TV packages I don't want etc. I am going to have to find a new high speed ISP

I have only 2 options that I am aware of in my area. Virgin or BT.

I don't like either of them, but copper wire is just not going to work for me anymore.

I need to:

1) Keep my existing phone number and email address, without false promises.

2) A 20mb connection minimum

3) No TV packages or hard sell time-wasting pitches from overzealous sales people.

Any Ideas?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

buteman....thanks again! It's in the fine print *not available in all areas!

They have a monopoly, which is wrong, if I wasn't so busy I might consider taking it to OFCOM, but I really am up to my neck in stuff for the next few weeks at least.

I phoned again just a moment ago, and got the same answer...."No"

The router they supply is okay, my friend has one, but it just won't work for me....NAS drives, daisy-chained HDD's all containing samples, video overlays etc. etc. I would need a far better product than they supply.

SO............If I have to bite the bullet, it won't be just yet. I am in the process of final backups of all my data prior to the imac landing tomorrow. It's pretty much an all day job, fire and forget, then double / treble check that everything is backed up in 3 locations!

I still have the option of using my friends' connection, and he does not mind....I look after all his IT kit without charge.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ignore that (You can normally keep your phone number when you move home, so long as you’re staying in the same local area.)

That was for moving house if you were already a virgin customer.

Not sure if you open a Windows Live mail account whether you can keep your old email address with that.

I use it for 3 Windows mail accounts and my Virginmedia e-mail account.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Yep, that or gmail would be an option, but I'm no fan of webmail. I will have to do something...I wonder (smirking) if the telegraph pole just outside my back garden were to err....meet with an accident invoking the oak tree next to it, would BT consider upgrading us properly? :))

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

"involving" doh....see how often I use my laptop keyboard cant you?

:))

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If your friend is with VM and you can use his wireless signal that would save you a lot of expense providing that you get a good signal.

I take it he lives next door or am I on the wrong track.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

If only!!! no, he lives way over on the other side of Cardiff :((

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Ah webmail.

Well I have been down the various routes of email using my ISP, then from my own (now gone) domain name and finally ended up with GMail which I actually quite enjoy. So far it has not let me down so fingers crossed.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

The Virgin cable router is an ethernet connected one - well mine is, it's about a year old but I dont know about the 'all in one' box.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

wiz-king

My house is part network, part recording studio, and somewhere, there is a bed! It's a pretty complex setup, which I will be re- building around the new iMac over the weekend.

A high performance non ISP router is essential for making everything talk to everything else!

Gmail might be a temp. Solution, but long term, I may have to have VM as much as I don't want to. I can sell the router I have now, it's brand new!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

GMail is very good, and pretty reliable.

I've got it picking up emails from two other accounts, and I even have the option of send mail as if it was from the other account (does that make sense)

I've been using GMail pretty much since it set up around 2004, and only had a couple of major outages since then, and no mail lost. The junk mail handling is very good, and if you mark an email as spam it sometimes offers to email the unsubscribe address automatically.

Gmail has full POP3 access, so you can collect email in most clients, and this has the bonus that if you leave the mail on the server you've got a backup. Currently you get 7.6gb of mail storage. The double bonus of using the POP3 access is that you do not get to see the text ads down the side of the page, but I never look at these anyway.

Regarding ISP, have you used the exchange checker on Sam Knows? I live in a pretty rural part of Lancashire and get 10.9mbps using Talk Talk.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded