We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New ISP Suggestions

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

Well, as I have now restored my router to a virtually default state, got rid of junk that was hogging bandwidth, I thought I would sit back and have a look at the O/S I will be using from Thursday:

Apple Lion Demo

But my bandwidth is frustratingly slow.....I have concluded that after years of refusing to let people drill holes in my home, attempt to sell me TV packages I don't want etc. I am going to have to find a new high speed ISP

I have only 2 options that I am aware of in my area. Virgin or BT.

I don't like either of them, but copper wire is just not going to work for me anymore.

I need to:

1) Keep my existing phone number and email address, without false promises.

2) A 20mb connection minimum

3) No TV packages or hard sell time-wasting pitches from overzealous sales people.

Any Ideas?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If I had Virgin in my area I would not hesitate in transferring all possible services to them.

Like this post  
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Here in Wales, they have always been the same....They come, drill huge unsightly holes in your walls which they attempt to fill with silicone sealant, and leave.

It has been this way since the NTL days, and has never changed.

Musicians are not tecchies either (well I am, but most are not) so avoiding a change of email addresses, or some form of forwarding option is needed. Virgin provide neither.

I just checked BT bandwidth here, and its a no go too, Copper wire only.

The price you pay for living in the sticks I guess

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

It's Virgin or nothing. My uploads are dealt with by a friend who has a super-fast connection (Also Virgin) and lives with the holes in his house!

I guess I may as well tick this resolved now as uswitch have confirmed my fears.

I will have to think about it. Changing phone numbers, email addresses etc. is a hassle I can do without whilst I get to grips with my new imac.....Then, well, I guess I will have to change.

Anyone want to buy a nice home by the Taff?

LOL

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

I suggest you check what is available on your exchange at sam knows

link text

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have a Virgin cable just for broadband - beautiful - and copper wire for telephone (BT) and Sky internet. I know having 2 ISPs is an extra cost but they wont both go down at the same time - cross fingers!

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

Also have a check on this site to see if your exchange is going to be 21CN WBC enabled soon which I think would give your line ADSL2 status but does depend on distance from the exchange and line condition to the speeds achieved

link text

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

You can take your phone number with you if you transfer to Virginmedia.

They are doing some good deals at the moment for new customers with 6 months half price etc.

They have the price set up so that it will cost you the same or almost whether you take the freeview TV package or not.

You usually get free weekend calls as part of the package but be warned using your phone at other times can be quite expensive and you are usually cheaper using your mobile instead.

You can get it with just the broadband but once again it is almost the same price with the Phone package included.

Everything seams to be geared around the phone package.

I have used virgin for about 6 years and have no complaints.I hate the foreign call centers but as you rarely have to phone them it doesn't really matter that much.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Thanks buteman, I seem to be getting conflicting info. from Virgin, they say I cant take my phone number with me, and offer no broadband only option.

They also can't help with email re-direction :(( I am going to have to think about it, but fiddling with my router's qos settings is not going to help!!!

I am reluctant to go to a company I have no faith in, but despite all the information posted by john 52, they are my only option apart from what I have now.

I guess that is the problem, they know this, so you take what's offered or get nothing....."Sorry sir, that option is not available in your area" Is what I got yesterday.

Like I said, the price I pay for living where I do :))

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

AND I just bought a brand new ADSL router modem. I would have to fork out for the cable version if I go with Virgin as the kit they supply is no good for me........... ce la vie :))

.....grumbles "getting old jeff" under breathe!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You get a new router if you go with virgin and I understand the new ones are very good.

As far as I new you could take your phone number with you whichever ISP you used.

With or without a virgin phone line.

http://shop.virginmedia.com/broadband/up-to-30mb.html

Like I said you will find the prices do not differ that much with or without the phone line.

now found this about taking your phone number.

You can normally keep your phone number when you move home, so long as you’re staying in the same local area.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...