We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cheques to stay after all

peter99co
Resolved

Likes # 0

BBC News

Common sense prevails?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Pipped me to the post!

Like this post  
peter99co

Likes # 0

I was slow spelling Cheques as well but it is a sensible decision they have made. I could not think of a cheap alternative.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Common sense prevails?"

See fourm member's 5:25pm post for the true explanation.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I cannot remember when I last had a cheque book let alone used one, nothing more than a nuisance, if I get one its means I have to toddle off to a bank and still wait days for it to clear.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

As a business dealing with a mixture of customers - some who just order a couple of pounds worth of stuff once a year, some shops who order a hundred pounds worth a month and agents who order thousand of pounds worth, we still bank cheques every day. We also pay a lot of small bills by cheque for goods we purchase, we also use BACS and internet banking. many of our smaller customer have no other way of paying us - we even get a few who send us chash in the post.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

Does this now mean that the clearing banks decision to scrap the cheque guarantee scheme was premature?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

We still do a lot of business with cheques, people want paying and a cheque is a very good form of proof that you have payed, if we owe a farmer for 5 bales of hay he normally doesn't have a card machine on him.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"if we owe a farmer for 5 bales of hay he normally doesn't have a card machine on him."

He probably wouldn't accept a cheque, either.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

F.E we pay for 2 by cheque and 3 by cash, still can't figure out why we have to do it that way.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"we pay for 2 by cheque and 3 by cash"

So why don't you pay them all by cash?

They can't refuse legal tender, as they can a cheque, and if you have that much cash to hand anyway a bit more surely won't make that much difference?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do