We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Patio woes

realist

Likes # 0

Have been let down by a "builder" who was supposed to lay a small patio. He laid it more or less ok but failed to point between the slabs properly, the mix he used looks to be too sandy. So I'll have to rake it out and re-do. What is the correct mortar to use for this job please? Hopefully there is a suitable readymix I can get? Would this Wickes' product do the job, if so is it best put in dry or wet? click here

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Normally you only use fine sand between slabs or a very weak mortar (6 : 1) this allows for expansion or contraction with the weather.

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

I used to use a dryish mix of silver sand (fine) and cement at approx 4 to 1, kept it dryish so as not to stain the slabs while pointing it up...

Damp down the slabs and gaps on hot days and leave until they look dry, helps to stop the slabs and cement base from drying the grout/pointing mortar out to quickly.

Use two trowels, one large one small, scrape/push it from the large trowel into the joints and chop it in with the small trowel, use a pointing tool to press it down hard, a bit of bent/rounded copper pipe or even a bit of wood rounded off will do if you dont want to buy one., I used to cut the ends off old metal bucket handles, worked a treat.

Do it in the shade if possible or early evening, keep people off it for a couple of days afterwards, cover it up if rain is likely.

If you have a look online there are plenty of Building and DIY sites which will have more detailed instructions and possibly videos.

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

Having re-read your original post, I think I would be inclined to ask the builder to come back and re-point it if it has not been finished properly.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This is the way to do the job - whether you do it yourself, or get your builder to do it:-

Buy sharp sand (not soft, bricklaying sand) and OPC (Ordinary Portland Cement). Buy the sand in bags from a builders Merchant - Travis Perkins, for instance, and not one of the DIY sheds.

Make a wooden pointing stick that is a reasonable fit into the slab joints (which should ideally be around 12mm wide)

Wait for a dry day - not a hot one. The perfect situation is a day that is dry with a forecast of some light rain at night.

Use a wheelbarrow, and tip a whole bag of sand into it. Do NOT add any water.

Now add a quarter of a standard bag of OPC, and mix thoroughly.

Make sure the surfaces of the slabs are dry.

Throw the sand/cement mixture over the patio, treating a couple of square metres at a time, and brush the mixture into the joints. Run your pointing stick along the joints, holding it at an angle, so you compress the mixture into the joint. Then do it again - add mixture and compress until the joint is completely filled. If the mixture starts to dry out - and it will - sprinkle a little water onto the barrow. You're aiming for a mix that is damp, but not remotely wet.

Treat the whole patio in this fashion until all your joints are nicely packed, Lightly brush all the excess mixture up, and pack up -the job's done.

If it doesn't drizzle within 24 hours you can cover the patio with a fine spray from a watering can, but it must be a fine spray.

The resulting pointing will be hard, and look very neat. Make sure you compress that mix well. It's a knack, but you'll soon get the idea.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Hello realist - an empathetic (and similar) situation with no practical advice - appologies. My veranda is still waiting for corrective work " ..When we get a good spell (of weather)..", said the company manager.The initial improvements began in february. All of my potted plants are doing well round the back ...every cloud has a silver lining...methinks.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Most builders merchants sell a grouting gun which can be filled with a 6:1 sand/cement mix and just "squirted" into the joints between slabs. Finish off with a piece of 15mm pipe. A lot easier than trying to pack it in with trowels etc. Done it,got the T shirt, saves a LOT of time and effort.

Like this post
jellyhead

Likes # 0

A site full of useful info link text

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

amonra

Grouting guns may be fine for some applications, but unfortunately they won't work with a sharp sand/cement mix, and that's what you should use for best results with paving slabs. No professional patio layer would dream of using a soft sand and cement mix, it doesn't look as good, and wont last as long.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Didn't realise 'til I saw this thread that pointing was necessary.

I laid mine, on ordinary building sand, about ten years ago, and apart from a dose of Pathclear here and there every six months or so I've had no problems.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Buy the sand in bags from a builders Merchant - Travis Perkins, for instance, and not one of the DIY sheds."

Be aware that the DIY sheds are probably a good bit cheaper and more suited to the occasional weekend building project.

B&Q & other shed prices are inclusive retail ticket prices. The builders merchants are business orientated and are plus 20% VAT on all the ticket prices and give varying trade discounts to each customer depending on their annual spend.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July