We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Audio Conversion

Condom

Likes # 0

I sometimes use an Audi converter for reducing the size of tunes before putting them on my phone or for reducing from Flac to Mp3 320. Out of curiosity I used the convertor to change an album I had in 128 to 320 and it actually did it. I don't really understand all the technicalities of this but my brain tells me you shouldn't be able to change from 128 to 320. Can anyone out there with knowlwdge od audio explain this in easy terms?

Like this post
smokingbeagle

Likes # 0

Like this post
smokingbeagle

Likes # 0

Like this post
smokingbeagle

Likes # 0

Please ignore my first post.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Condom

In addition to smokeingbeagles link, a little more info:

As you correctly say, it's a trade off between file size, format compatibility with devices etc.

Generally speaking, the larger the file, the better the quality, and it comes down to what suits you best. you can upscale a file from the original (The quality really depends on the software you are using)

I use a high end Roland recording desk, and was using Cubase, but am converting to imac this week and will be using a new pro package called

http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/

This is a pro package which might be well over the top for you, but is required for my expanding self recording interests.

Some more detailed information on audio files can be found here:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/a-look-at-the-different-file-formats-available-part-1-audio/

Lossy and Lossless are the ones to gen up on if you really want to go into detail (the names come from an original typo in a very early file converter) If you need any detailed stuff, post back, I will be happy to send you links that will nake your brain hurt :)) (nice to see you are still around!)

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the helpful advice and hints. Sorry I have been away for a few days and I'm only just catching up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow