We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Adopt a sewer!

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

On a point of curiosity, as your local water board informed you that they will be adopting sewers on private land, very shortly. In the past, any sewer repairs were the responsibility of the land owner, now it would seem, the water boards will be taking on this responsibility under various Acts of Parliament. This might add a further £3.00/ £14.00 (estimated) to your annual bill.

More Severn Trent information http://www.stwater.co.uk/sewerownership

Will it make any difference to you?.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

This is outrageous! I'm already paying a fortune for water ( So called single user tariff ) I want a water meter but Welsh Water say the plumbing is too complex.

If i was on a meter my bill would be about half of what I pay now Grrr.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Plumbing is too complex? Pull the other one. Welsh Water just don't want to do it. Get in touch with an independent water engineer or surveyor and ask him what he thinks.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I have had survey after survey, no go,they say it's just too expensive.

Had my Solicitor at them too. The problem is I am first in line (Very high water pressure) of a small close of dwellings. Being next to the river, a pumping station in Radyr (just up the river) also comes into the equation.

I'm no plumber, but to do it, they clainm they would have to.

Disconnect the entire close from the mains supply for at least 48 hours

Place a water bowser for the other residents to use whilst they are doing the job Tear a wall down in my home.

Idiots.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

I am too simple - sorry.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

No your not, I think they just don't want to do it to. but it is a fairly unique area, semi reclaimed river flood plain.

Like I said, I'm no plumber, my only recourse is to pester them each time they put up my standing charge.

We only had gas installed in the close 3 years ago, and Transco ( who apparently usually do the piping etc.) took one look and ran a mile.

We had to commission a private company to do it, and it was a nightmare....We had the small lane dug up for 5 months, mud everywhere, constant noise etc.

But, most of us now have Gas CH which is far better than economy 7.

We pay a yearly fee to the original company who performed the installation, but worth it in the end. I guess the water probably is complex. Nobody else has a meter here either, but I'm one of the few who live alone.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Southern Water are taking over responsibilty for our area ( Longfield, Kent) as from 1/10/11. Had a letter yesterday,

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Interesting about the water meter, because a number of water boards seem to be suggesting that 'a change of ownership to a property', the new person is required or will be required to have a water meter fitted.

I read this only the other week, when drought conditions were being aired. Forgot where though. But it appeared that the local water boards would be responsible for the work undertaken.

But then again, I was reading another article regarding a small few occupant village somewhere in the UK water supply. Apparently the water board were going to do some major work, and they found a large lead supply pipe connecting the water supply, which had been installed by the previous village owner (Lord/ Factory Owner?)years ago. There was then a dispute as to the villages rights and responsibilities and that of the water board, and who should pay. Funny old world really, when we start talking about spending money and whose responsibilities!.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I'll tick this as resolved, so that I don't get further emails to this thread.

The discussion is still open though.Please add if you want.

Like this post  
the hick

Likes # 0

This is a very interesting link. I spent several years of my working life involved with drainage systems for adoption by water authorities, and everything had to be to specification, otherwise no S104 agreement. Seems that things have changed a bit! It appears, they will be adopting pipe runms of unknown design and specification, etc, and also, a water co. cannot just 'adopt' anything it chooses, the owner of the works has to want to dedicate it to others. Some may not want there drains adopted, for example, when there is a possibility of others wishing to connect to them in the future, when payment can be secured.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

the hick

It would appear that they are going to 'adopt' sewers and note drains, and have the legal right to do so, under Sections 102 and 105A of the Water Industry Act 1991, and Water Industry (Schemes for Adoption of Private Sewers) Regulations 2011 (The Transfer Regulations).

There is a right to appeal, should a land or property owner wishes to do so.

The link that I provided as some drawings as to what the water board tends to 'adopt'.

I also understand that some water boards 'might' undertake underground leak repairs on private property, to a maximum of two before charging.

There is also mention that household and restaurant fat, grease and other items are causing serious and expensive damage to the sewer systems, and this is on the increase. Perhaps that is one reason why the water boards want to have more control of the pipework?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home