We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The End Of An Era For Me

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

For the first time in more decades than I can remember, I no longer own a self-built high end PC.

A strange feeling, as I sit here, typing this on my laptop, which frankly I wouldn't be using if my ipad was not on charge.

The cable spaghetti has gone, the power leads, the surround sound speakers, the lot. A shelf, once crammed to the gunnel's with PC games awaits it's new collection of software.

Oh, I'm under no illusions friends will need help, things will break, "Phone Jeff...He can fix it for you" will still be a feature of life.

But it's a strange feeling after so many years.

Then,in order to cheer myself up, I only have to look at what is about to land on my doorstep:

http://www.apple.com/imac/

But I wonder, just how far have Microsoft fallen behind? And how much longer they will continue to churn out over-bloated Operating Systems which they will expect users to buy.

I was always a PC person, I started with DOS 3, I was there at the beginning of it all, and I'm glad I was.

And whilst products like Office (yes a copy for mac is on my new machine) will remain the standard for now, allow me to add a caveat for MS:

The tide, Mr Gates is turning.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

john 52

Will you be upgrading to Lion?

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

Yes

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

john 52

Good to know....I will know who to ask here if I have any issues. Thursday is confirmed by my Apple spy, provided no server issues. The Apple download servers are throttled right back to around 40% of capacity at present, so the guy's and girls are on it I guess.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

As a recent buyer of an iPad, thanks FE you said that it was tempting, I have found it so easy to use that I am sure that my next computer will be Mac. Mind you - my Windows machine will have to fail before I lash out what is a large bundle of cash.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

Now where did I put my hammer :))

I'm using my iPad now, it's just such a nice device to have. As the FE said a while back, it comes very close to the perfect mobile device.

Like this post  
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

Now that IS an idea!

I have found the iPad to be very intuitive - no real problems for this oldie.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Strange, but I was thinking about the same route of an iMac.

I thought about starting a thread saying something like "why am I not excited by Windows 8" My current machine came with XP. I did an install of Vista the day that it was released and a clean install of Windows 7 again the day it was released. I could not wait.

Now I cannot describe my complete inderference to W8.

I stumbled into an iPhone and now I see it as one of the best bits of kit I have ever owned. The iMac is a great looking bit of kit and it sorts out the endless cables which have invaded my space.

Windows has been great and the kit is really goood value, but it does not have the stranglehold it once had. I imagine it will always be the biggest in terms of market share but no longer omnipitant.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

PS apols regarding poor speeling, must get a checker!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

anskyber

Hello to another old friend!

Just looking around the forums confirmations what you say.....I stumbled into an ipad1 first, then an iPhone, ATV, and now the move to an iMac. If Win8 is not a quantum leap in value, hardware resources, and a move away form the " we will be releasing Win9 " soon attitude, I really think MS will be on the back foot.

Will I install Win8 on my laptop? I'm not sure.

A couple of years back, I would have said "of course"

Like you, the excitement has gone from MS products for me.

I am really excited about my iMac though!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......