We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The End Of An Era For Me

Crosstrainer2
Resolved

Likes # 0

For the first time in more decades than I can remember, I no longer own a self-built high end PC.

A strange feeling, as I sit here, typing this on my laptop, which frankly I wouldn't be using if my ipad was not on charge.

The cable spaghetti has gone, the power leads, the surround sound speakers, the lot. A shelf, once crammed to the gunnel's with PC games awaits it's new collection of software.

Oh, I'm under no illusions friends will need help, things will break, "Phone Jeff...He can fix it for you" will still be a feature of life.

But it's a strange feeling after so many years.

Then,in order to cheer myself up, I only have to look at what is about to land on my doorstep:

http://www.apple.com/imac/

But I wonder, just how far have Microsoft fallen behind? And how much longer they will continue to churn out over-bloated Operating Systems which they will expect users to buy.

I was always a PC person, I started with DOS 3, I was there at the beginning of it all, and I'm glad I was.

And whilst products like Office (yes a copy for mac is on my new machine) will remain the standard for now, allow me to add a caveat for MS:

The tide, Mr Gates is turning.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Diemmess

I'm no spring chicken :)) DOS 3 for me, but with the cables gone, and knowing how good my other Apple products are, AND frankly, the old eyes, duff leg and back meant buying a new PC or buying a mac.

I came to the conclusion that since all my other Apple kit is first class, and that I would not trust anyone to build a PC for me (except me) that it was the logical way to go.

It will be my last one, not an ugly tower, but a cable free top end machine that will last me the rest of my day's.

It's true if you browse the forums there are a lot of mac ipad related questions now. as you know, although I was away a while, I've been here a long time (if that makes sense) and we never had any mac related stuff that i can remember.

Perhaps I simply notice it more because of my stuff, but I don't think so.

As I said I was always;s a PC self-build person, and I'm not biting the hand that fed.

It was just time...For a seed change.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Brumas

Are you planning on upgrading to Lion next week? If so, let me know how you get on in a thread. (If you have an email addy for me it's an old one, and won't post here for obvious reasons)

My first task on arrival of the new machine will be to go from Snow Leopard to Lion, so would be interested to have your thoughts. My spy @ Apple tells me "Probably Wednesday"

I will receive an email when it's live, so will post here too!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

fourm member

Absolutely right. With a very large discount for services rendered to Apple recently (I'm doing some IP5 Beta testing for them) My admittedly rather high spec. Imac with the software, free Apple care on all my Apple kit for life, came in at £2600.00

For that, I could build a whole bunch of PC's, but I won't be persuaded to build any more.

I guess what used to be fun sort of wears off after you've built your first 50 or so. It then becomes a chore And as I said the body just isn't up to it anymore :))

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Interesting thread because it's something I've been thinking about for some time and, when my current machine goes to the great scrapyard in the sky, I will certainly be going down the Apple road.

My iPad is the first Apple product I've owned (I did work for a year as a computer engineer at a local school which had Apple computers - but spent most of my time extracting paper clips from disk drives) and I love it's simplicity.

It just works.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

That, in a nutshell sums up Apple kit." it just works" no endless rounds of updates, no issues with printers, they just install without fussy drivers etc.

I already use an app called PrintNshare my wireless printer is in standby, I am using my iPad. If I want to print from here ( propped up in bed after the early start this morning) I just hit print, and it does.

No cables, just sent to the printer via wireless.

Things will be even more interesting when the iMac arrives. I can already stream media to my tv and DTS systems with both my iPad and iPhone, but soon the iMac will join and complete the picture.

All seamless!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Kids all use Macbooks, and I can see the appeal (apart from the price), BUT, having had a new W7 PC for a couple of weeks, I shan't be changing anytime soon.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Jeff I have no plans to upgrade to Lion at the moment as I'm counting my pennies tbh. Snow Leopard does everything I ask of it so it will be a while, hopefully I'll be getting for a birthday present in September. Also, I am not a 'techie' like you (no offence intended) as long as it works I'm happy :o}

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Brumas

Nothing wrong with Snow Leopard. ( Leopards are nicer than Lions anyway) but the upgrade is free, so may as well have everything up to date before commencing the learning curve with Final Cut, Logic, and of course, the OS itself!

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Release date for Lion, now set for Thursday 14th ( so I have heard) this works well for me as it's delivery day for my new iMac.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

crossstrainer2

I am sure you will love your new imac I bought a imac about a year ago and as other people have said they just work with the minimum of fuss.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features