We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Tyre pressure query

CurlyWhirly
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've recently bought these" target="_blank">http://www.michelin.co.uk/motorcycles/michelin-pilot-road-3#tab-tyres-sizes">these tyres.

I can't find the link now but I read an article on the Michelin website which stated the effects of having under-inflated or over-inflated motorcycle tyres.

I've been riding motorcycles for over a decade and have always allowed the front tyre to be inflated to a few PSI less than the rear tyre.

The motorcycle that I'm currently riding uses tyres that can be inflated up to 42 PSI in each tyre.

I currently put 40 PSI in the rear tyre and 35 PSI in the front tyre.

Does anyone know if it's a good idea to have this arrangement or should both tyres have roughly the same amount of air in each tyre ?

If there's any fellow bikers here who can offer advice, I'd be grateful.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

If you contact Michelin they will give you advised tyre pressures for your motorcycle.....

http://www.michelin.co.uk/contact

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

OTT_B - I already tried e-mailing them a few days ago but no response so far.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I always preferred 32 x 36 psi, but that was on lighter '70s bikes with 18/19 inch rims.

Check this out for more modern bikes http://www.drivegreen.com/MotorcycleTirePressure.htm

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Thanks Quickbeam, but your link doesn't work even after adding the end bit to the URL.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There are underbars between cycle and tire and tire and pressure but paste does not allow the underbars to show.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I would put in what they are made to take, this way they will work as they are made to work at development pressure. Maker knows best. also if they are run under pressure they will overheat and likely to pop if driven hard. And its no good for the walls of the tyre

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS Curly you should only fit the tyre size and type that the Bike is made to take as fitting other tyres can infringe your insurance if something goes wrong. In other words they have got a get-out if you have a crash etc

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

The correct size and tyre pressure for your bike will have been determined by the machine manufacture after having done extensive tests, these recommended pressures and sizes are advised irrespective of brand selected. This information will be provided in the owner manual.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Never guess or estimate tyre pressures, especially on a bike, except in an emergency (re-inflating after a puncture etc.).

As Namtas says, tyre pressures will have been decided upon by the manufacturer after extensive tests and research, including consultation with the tyre manufacturer, and compliance with the Construction & Use Regulations.

Unless you're someone working in a pit like Rossi's you should no more choose your own tyre pressures than you should choose your own viscosity oil.

At the very least it will cause excessive and uneven wear (in the centre if over inflated, on the shoulders if under)

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad