We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the following to be construde as Theft,Trespass or criminal Damage?

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

My daughter has a basement flat- her TV reception is via FreeSat. In recent days she has lost signle- looking at the dishes [there are two] She became aware the the dish that belongs to the upper flat had its feed redirected to another window frame inlet, and concluded that the tenants above had knocked her dish 'Off line' in carrying out the re routing work.. She contacted the letting agent and they authorized that the installer should attend to re align her dish However when the installer completed the work he reported that not only was the dish off, but one of her down feeds[she has 2 LNB's] had also been dis connected and redirected to the upper flat.

So what is that to be construed as?

As the upper tenants are a 'rotating' gang of Polish workers who come and go[Which sounds like to be like a sub-sub let scam] One wonders what will happen when they discover they now have lost reception.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

could have just been a mistake or accident when someone was up on the roof

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

theft and it should be disconnected, and reconnected to you tv

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

theft and it should be disconnected, and reconnected to you tv.

Your Disconnected LNB cable should be there but hanging loose, it should be reconnected to you LNB that they are using

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Allegations of theft are premature, and uncalled for - there's no evidence of it, and in any case nobody can 'steal' a Freesat signal, it doesn't belong to you.

The LNB feed certainly belongs to the person who owns the satellite dish however, and if it has been diverted - accidentally or deliberately you are entitled to feel aggrieved.

"So what is that to be construed as?"

A very irritating occurrence, nothing more. From what you say it appears to have been rectified, so that's really the end of it, isn't it?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

FE wrote Thursday

*A very irritating occurrence, nothing more. From what you say it appears to have been rectified, so that's really the end of it, isn't it? Like this post*

Weeeel being charitable one could say that, perhaps as the people concerned are from another place they may not be to technically adept- perhaps may be- though knew enough to divert the downfeed.

Below is a quotation from my daughters latest with what the engineer had to report.

*Jay's engineer installed my facility just over a year ago and clearly recalls doing so as it was a complex exercise running the cable around the outside of the building. He also recalls the dish above mine having a detached cable. He assures me that the part in question could not come off on its own, nor the cable end shove itself back in its hole (please excuse my lack of technical terms). Regrettably I don't have a witness to their actions but can't imagine who else would want / need to do this. Do you? Do they? Unless ofcourse it was Mr Nobody?*

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

So had the cheeky blighters disconnected one of her LNB lines and plugged their own cable in instead so they could watch tv using her dish? (except they'd knocked dish out of alignment so the signal was lost anyway)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Surely, this would be the letting agents responsibility, if one of their tenants were doing unsavoury deeds?.

If it was me, I would be looking at my meter readings, and see if the utility supply had been diverted!.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Regrettably I don't have a witness to their actions"

Like the FE said, that's it then.

Anything else is speculation, no matter how well founded.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

the thing is it is speculation even if you have that gut feeling, contact the letting agency and let them decide the best course of action. There are a lot of scams out their from all walks of life. Now one wants to point the finger but you may well know who did but try too look for a solution rather say ee did or er did or they did it or erm did.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

the thing is it is speculation even if you have that gut feeling, contact the letting agency and let them decide the best course of action. There are a lot of scams out their from all walks of life. Now one wants to point the finger but you may well know who did but try too look for a solution rather say ee did or er did or they did it or erm did. last latter qouted from danger mouse oh crumbs

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED