We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Frustration over ITV Player (RANT)

Covergirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

I wanted to watch a 5 minute article on chillis from the Countrywise programme last night (as I only caught a couple of minutes of it) and what a farce!

First you've got to find it - no real problem. Then there are options to watch selected clips or the whole programme - well, what I wanted wasn't on selected clips, so it's back to the full programme. Now you have to wait for it to load (no real delay) then you have to sit through 2 adverts before you actually get to the start of the programme. Hey ho, I thought. The article I wanted was about 18 minutes in, so click somewhere along the timeline - but it is only clickable in the 1st section of the programme - yes, before the 2nd set of adverts, and guess what? The bit I wanted was after the 2nd set of adverts, so it's sit through another FIVE adverts to get access to the 2nd section.

Unfortunately I clicked in at 19 minutes and the article had started, so click back a few millimetres on the timeline and FREEZE ! Ah, come on . . . what's the game here?????

So Maximise player, minimise player click pause, click play anything to bring it out of Freeze.

Now what's happening? Adverts again? Oh, bloody marvellous - guess what? It's started at 0 mins 0 seconds again with 2 adverts to sit through before I can get to the 2nd set of 5 adverts . . . .

With a lot of patience I eventually got to watch the bit I wanted, but what a farce.

Good old BBC iPlayer - never had any problems with that, and no adverts so if it does lock up, it's a simple refresh, reload and click to the place in the timeline you require.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Far easier to use a DVD recorder, but obviously no good if you have not recorded the programme!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

That's probably the main benefit of the Sky+ box, you can rewind the program a bit if you missed something. Obviously this is no good if you've only just turned over and want to rewind, but if you go for a brew in the adverts and come back a bit late you can rewind.

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

Good old BBC wins again. Seriously, I'd gladly pay double the TV licence fee to get rid of adverts. I know the BBC advertises its own programmes, but I can put up with that. Sky Plus? Fantastic !

Like this post  
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I just used ITV Player to watch a programme I'd missed due to a bloody bird deciding to use my satellite dish as a resting point thus producing a "Failed to record due to loss of signal" message.I suffered the adverts as you cannot bypass them.Online TV catchup is a great idea,but please allow us to fast-forward past adverts without it freezing.

PS: The new ITV player is an improvement on the last as previously,click to enlarge to fullscreen produced such a pixellated image it wasn't watchable.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

So that's where C5 unloaded their old player.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home