We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

£1000 grant towards a car?

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Afternoon everyone, One of my friends has just sold a car for £1500 and a non british chap came and handed her £500 cash plus a card to contact someone in Dhss or dole, she asked what it was and he said in as basic English as it comes "You call them for rest"

So before keys was handed over she called the number and was amazed that its a scheme/grant aimed at helping people from other countries back to work? by helping them to purchase a car to get them to work, does anyone know any details about this cause i have just called the job centre up and they wouldn't entertain me? in fact they said they dont know about it? and yet my friend is someone i could trust 100%...

This is just on pure interest...Thanks

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

For me I would not be handing no keys over until I got the full amount I asked, for the car

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

Sounds like a scam to me

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

If this were true then there would have been front page headlines in The Mail declaring the end of the world as we know it - so it must be a scam.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Looks like your friend has just sold her car for £500 and a piece of paper.

Does she have any more cars to sell, because I've got a bag of magic beans...

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Well this is my whole point! she did get paid? she was sent a couple of Giro's the next day for the remaining amount..? every where i look on the net there is nothing about it? when she told me about it i told her its got to be a scam! but the person on the phone clarified this was real and sent the payment/s.?? i thought maybe i'd mention this on here to see if anyone know any details?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Well its a new one on me, and I would have said the same as the others that have posted. did the giro's clear

Like this post
beynac

Likes # 0

Could it be to do with the New Enterprise Allowance? This mentions loans of up to £100 to help with start up costs, which could involve buying a car.

Like this post
beynac

Likes # 0

Edit to previous post...

Should read "This mentions loans of up to £1000 to help with start up costs, which could involve buying a car." rather than £100.

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

"Well this is my whole point! she did get paid? she was sent a couple of Giro's the next day for the remaining amount."

Of course she was but have they clearedin her account yet? I hope that she didn't hand the keys over until they did.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

The New Enterprise Allowance may well be for real but there is still a smell of scam about this. Possibly this guy is scamming the scheme.

As previously stated this guy is of foreign extraction and has made use of this facility to buy a car valued at £1500 for just £500.

He may well now disappear off the radar as a lot of foreigners tend to do once in the country, and if this is a con then a network of a few hundred contacts masterminded from above could net someone a big sum in a short period of time before gov cottons on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......