We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

News of the World 'hacked Milly Dowler phone'

Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

From the BBC: BBC News

I would say The News of the world had sunk even lower in my esteem but, that would not be possible.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

It certainly questions David Cameron's judgement if the allegation is proved. We have not seen the end of this yet I am sure there is more to come

There is a thread Tabloids, Tories and Telephone Hacking dated the 4th October 2010 and to quote a poster

How stupid do people think Rupert Murdoch is? If Coulson knows more than he's claiming and Murdoch knows he knows it is a spectacular own goal to make sure Coulson goes into a job where his past is bound to be repeatedly raked over by opponents of the government.

I am not suggesting Rupert Murdoch knew anything about the phone hacking but he has the final say on editors and the direction of the newspaper

New allegations have emerged of payments to the police

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

I think the best way to bring the NOW and other papers to there senses is to stop them publishing for a couple of weeks and for all of us to boycot the paper.A fine does'nt hurt at all and it's the readers who pay it via purchase of the paper.I do think however that major advertisers not using the them will galvanise there thought,i also think NOW is only the tip of a large iceberg, we also have to ask why previous inquires by the police got nowhere.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

I assure you this is the tip of the iceberg and many other papers will come out as using such a practice.

I did not wish to post the link as that is an old thread and did not wish to attribute the statement to yourself and your comment

Those who see no more in it that a chance to attack David Cameron are showing themselves to be disinterested in the truth.

The truth is hopefully what we will get but I have always maintained that David Cameron's judgement on this is matter flawed as this was just just a hornets nest waiting to explode and to suggest the sole importance of the news is to be able to have a pop at David Cameron is disrespectful to the people concerned

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

How convenient - the NoW have suddenly discovered emails which 'point' to Andy Coulson allegedly authorising payments to the police. Strange that they should turn up now, just when Rebekah Brooks could really do with something to distract attention from her time in charge at the NoW during the Milly Dowler affair. Still, I'm sure it's just a coincidence!

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

wonder, is your assurance based on what you have learnt by hacking into the personal records of reporters and editors and proprietors?

Strange thing to say fourm member ???

I suggest you do a google fourm member there is plenty of reports alleging that other papers are involved and if it is not the case it reflects even more on the NOW

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

fourm member

john 52 is correct, the reports that the Guardian have published recently strongly point to the fact the "private investigators" have been working for most of the national press doing much the same thing.

The report I linked to in a previous post on this thread contains adequate proof of this, and Scotland Yard knew of these activities and chose to ignore them as they had bigger fish to fry at the time, and maybe the current Andy Coulson had something to do with this oversight as well...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Despite all the laws that can fine and imprison the guilty parties involved in this, this action is probably what will reign them in back under control Ford cancels News of the World Advertising

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

fourm member

I'm saying that it would be helpful if the truth could be permitted to emerge before people have decided for themselves what the truth should be.

Just like the tabloid press do you mean ??does double standards ring a bell

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

The problem with that fourm member is that few of us have confidence in such an interweaved system finding the truth and acting in the best interests of justice. I cannoy believe that arch buffoon Vince Cable before hearing any of the evidence doesn't think this should interfere with the Government's approval of Murdoch taking over Sky???

Some of the commentaries from respected papers are either very stupid (leaving themselves open to litigation) or they are speaking from a position of strength; I suspect the latter.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/matthew-norman/matthew-norman-now-is-the-moment-to-stop-murdoch-2307410.html

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/ian-bell/why-do-we-tolerate-this-regular-little-british-stasi-1.1110418

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 1

I'm surprised at the amount of naiveté being shown here.

This is the MPs' expenses scandal all over again.

Those affected will close ranks. There will be much wringing of hands and bemoaning the drop in professional standards, there will be a couple of sacrificial lambs, already selected, the Met will carry out a perfunctory investigation, enough so the the PM can say his pledge has been fulfilled, a few of the more blatant offenders will be sent to a cushy jail, and in five years time everything will be back to normal.

As for the withdrawal of some big advertisers, a more cynical example of free self righteous publicity would be hard to find!

Cynical? Moi?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do