We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

News of the World 'hacked Milly Dowler phone'

Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

From the BBC: BBC News

I would say The News of the world had sunk even lower in my esteem but, that would not be possible.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Nothing ever said about the News of the World would surprise me. How that rag remains in circulation is beyond comprehension.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It remains in circulation because people buy it, and they buy it because they love the stuff it publishes

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Actually morddwyd, I have to admit that I'm very glad they do! Repairing a large dent and scratch on the rear wing of my car today I needed some paper to mask the off the area prior to primer and paint. Knocked on neighbour's door and he gave me yesterday's copy.....ideal!!

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Oh wow...

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Hopefully another police force will investigate this; we know we cannot trust the MET

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Unfortunately we live in a sick world where some people will do anything to gain what they perceive as a head start over others. The actions of some in this case epitomise this situation.

The most disturbing part - assuming it is accurate - is the fact that messages were deleted to allow for more to be left. Not only did this give the parents and others false hope, besides obstructing the Police in their investigation, but it also left the offender with more flexibility to avoid justice and perhaps re-offend.

As for the comment about the Metropolitan Police not being trustworthy; perhaps Rick'scafe should consider the work load they have and the prioritisation between the crime of rape and murder as opposed to the abuse of privacy. I feel the latter should always be a lower priority than any offence where violence is involved.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Paparazzi scumbags.

I've said it before and I won't hesitate to say it again. These "companies" should be closed down. I reckon that's the only way to stop them.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Covergirl

Whilst your sentiment is admirable, it's not something that be easily accomplished because the Paparazzi are almost all self-employed, simply selling the pictures they take to the highest bidder, usually via a variety of agencies.

This particular case involves a private detective rather than paparazzi, and there's nothing to suggest that he was working on anything other than his own initiative in this case.

Having said all that, I'm sure the mourning period will be short if the NotW was shut down tomorrow...

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Johndrew - the issues to be concerned with regarding the MET and their relationship with News Internationalextends well beyond concerns regarding police workload.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

If this is true and it does turn out that the editor was aware of what was going on, i firmly believe anybody with knowledge of this within the NOTW should serve a custodial sentence.

To delete voicemail which possibly led to the poor girl's parents believing she was alive and deleting them herself is shameful. To do this just to put a story in a rag is lower than a snakes belly, it honestly makes me sick what these sad people will do for headlines.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen