We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

There is always some one who moans

n47.
Resolved

Likes # 0

Bt are installing thousands of new boxes to give customers a better BB connection. This lady objects as it blocks the view from her window. What about the trees and bushes in front of the box?

link text

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Sod her... progress overrides us all.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"There is always some one who moans"

Thank goodness there is - the boxes are monstrosities. I refuse to believe that they couldn't have been designed in a way that would make them less of an eyesore.

We may well want superfast broadband all over the country, but surely not at the expense of our environment? There should be a compromise arrangement, something less intrusive.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

My guess is that this is a cost issue. Yes, I'm sure the box could be designed to be less intrusive, but that could result in something more costly to make and - perhaps - more difficult for the engineer to use, thus adding to the ongoing costs of equipment installation and maintenance.

All of this would, of course, be reflected in the price we pay for broadband.

But if I were able to get a better broadband connection, I'd be happy to have one of these boxes in our road...

...so long as it wasn't outside my house.

;o)

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

I agree that there is far too much moaning and worse.. being offended by this, that, and the next thing. But I'd moan about that thing if it were in front of my house. It's ugly.

I'm not an environmentalist in the 'green' sense but I do object to having the appearance of the environment changed for the worse. This box could so easily have been put underground.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"This box could so easily have been put underground."

I very much doubt that. These boxes are power-cooled by fans, and are susceptible to water damage.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I don't think easily is the right word to describe them to be placed underground.

Whenever I've seen inside one of these boxes, they're jam packed full of kit. So if we assume that the cubic volume is what is required for their purpose, the only other option is for them to be lower and wider, but then they'll always be another Luddite somewhere or another that wouldn't like the width...

Like this post
pavvi

Likes # 0

The thing that stuck out for me was the fact that her local council also objected but BT were able to over-rule them Something not quite right there. Why is a private company able to over-rule local authorities and why could BT not have informed the people in the street, especially the lady concerned who also ended up being without gas as they disconnected her gas supply without informing her.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Its no different to a cable or electric box and people have learned to live with them. Telephone boxes are twice as high and people love them.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Caring about your local amenities doesn't make you a Luddite. 'Progress at any cost'is definitely not a mantra we should be adopting, especially when we can look back and see some of the horrific environmental eyesores inflicted on us by previous generations.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

‘Unfortunately Mrs Russell’s property was accidentally disconnected from the gas supply for a few hours while underground ducts were being laid.’

I don't think they plan in accidental service outages, ..it happens.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...