We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Zynga IPO

OTT_B

Likes # 0

With the apparently imminent flotation of Zynga, the 'social gaming' company (can anyone explain to me what social gaming actually means, and what makes it social??), the expert analysts out there expect the value of the company to be around the $15bn - $20bn mark. Yes, BILLION, not million. Oh yes, and they made a profit of.......90.5 million dollars last year, making their estimated value an astonishing 221x their profit.

With estimates of Facebook's value anywhere north of $100bn with rumoured profits last year of £400m, that gives a multiple of 250x.

Is it just me, or is the question of whether another price bubble is forming, a rhetorical question now?

Irrespective of my thoughts of Facebook and Zynga (which are becoming more negative and unrepeatable as time goes by!), I couldn't value Zynga at any more than $1bn and Facebook at $4bn. I could also argue that Zynga should be worth substantially less since they are, to all intents and purposes, dependant on Facebook to survive.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

It's only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Valuations of a company without much in the way of tangible assets (relatively speaking) is largely a marriage of convenience between guesswork and optimism anyhow.

WTM

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Never heard of them - had to look them up to see what they made....money?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback