We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Sharapova Screm

proudfoot

Likes # 0

Should the Sharapova Scream be banned. I feel it is gamesmanship, an attempt to put the opposing player off and it is so annoying to the audiance. No one objects to a loud exhale of breath at a difficult shot, but at every attempt to hit the ball is excessive. But for the screams I would have been neutral as to who won the ladies championship at Wimbledon, but I was rooting for Miss Kvitova and thankfully she won.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I am with you and it can be no coincidence that three of the loudest screamers have the same coach, total gamesmanship.

I have watched the final with no sound as it is so off putting.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

Maybe Andy Murray needs to try the Jonny Weissmuller Tarzan yodel on every serve ? Couldn't be any worse than Victoria Azarenka who makes a noise like a horse whinnying

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think they have really got to do something to moderate these noises.

It's becoming ridiculous, and is ruining the game as a spectacle, you just keep waiting for the next scream/wail/grunt or whatever.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

I agree. But I also think that the number of ball bounces before a serve should be limited, possibly to a maximum of three.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Didn't do her much good. Did it?

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I dont know why people get their knickers in such a twist over it.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Maybe that's what causes the scream?

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

HA!

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

its only a game

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Hey all, scream or no scream she lost! I'm not a tennis fan, and the screaming sounds annoying, but it did her no good whatsoever!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home