We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

On Line Payments

morddwyd
Resolved

Likes # 0

I suppose this could be in Consumerwatch, but it's more by way of a general enquiry.

As a further aspect to the recent thread on bank cards, last week I put an anniversary notice in two local papers and one national (Golden Wedding – is it really half a century since we suddenly looked at each other and wondered what the hell we had got ourselves into?).

I was amazed to find that while you could place the announcement on-line, or by letter, none of them had any facility for payment other than credit/debit card over the telephone.

No secure website, no cash, no cheques, no bank transfer, just a card number over the phone was all that was acceptable

As I have difficulty with the phone this really was a problem.

In the end I reluctantly resorted to sending my card details in an ordinary, unsecured, e-mail, though I suppose it was only marginally less secure than an open phone signal.

Can anyone explain why that should be in this day and age?

After all I could probably transfer funds to half the members of this forum via PayPal or even straight BACS, so why not a commercial organisation business to make money.

I could understand one local rag living a bit in the past, but two (different publishers) and a national daily?

I suppose there must be a reason, but I can’t for the lief of me think what it might be.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Mainly for Convenience-- They take your order over the phone and payment at the same time. Quite a number of companies still do this, using trusted employees?.

The newspaper companies that I use, also have a on-line order and secure server payment procedures, especially for out of hours service. Did you inquire about this when you placed your order?.

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

As I said in my post - no on line payment, no cash, no cheques.

How convenient is it to take an order by letter, but not accept any cheque that comes with the letter?

How convenient is it to accept an order over the counter, but to refuse the cash to pay for it?

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

at least they take credit cards, Her Majestys Revenue will only accept cheques!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...