We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Last Blue Peter tonight

Covergirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

Although I imagine it will probablysuffer a series of revivals due to public demand.

Did you grow up with Blue Peter and who were "your" presenters?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's not the last Blue Peter. It is the last at the BBC Television Centre before it moves to Salford. Blue Peter

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Children no longer want to make things from 'sticky backed plastic' - more is the pity - so the demise of this programme must have been on the cards for som time now.

A bit like Meccano going out of fashion - we now have fewer graduates in engineering and more in media studies.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

As wool well says it's not ending, just moving to the new complex at Salford Keys. I have noticed a decline in quality of both presenters and content on radios four and five as many are not making the move.

The old television centre is for sale..... Wow, what a recording studio I could turn that into! Sadly, I fear the asking price would be a tad high :))

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

As others have pointed out Blue Peter is moving from London to a purpose built Media City is Salford Quays, just along from the Lowry Centre & Imperial War Museum of the North.

In order to allow some people to realise there are bits of the country outside the M25 the BBC was forced to move more of its programming to the regions. The production of Dr Who in Cardiff was an early, and very successful experiment.

Much of BBC Sport, almost all BBC Children's output plus much of Radio 4 & 5 will be produced from Media City. BBC Breakfast is also moving next year.

This has caused some problems, with staff unwilling to move north, despite the incredibly generous relocation allowances that don't seem to have taken the fact that rents in Salford are less than half the rents in London.

Simon Mayo was supposed to move north with Radio 5, but he refused so was moved to Radio 2. Neither of the regular BBC Breakfast presenters want to move as they have young families in good schools, not something that's going to be easy to find in Salford.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Yep - sorry, I obviously only heard half the article. No excuses though - I shall seek admonishment from my Master.

I may be back . . . :)

Like this post  
Legolas

Likes # 0

When I started watching Blue Peter it was in black & white and the presenters were John (get down shep) Noakes, Peter (bad jumpers) Purves and Valerie (strait-laced) Singleton. I grew up making all sorts of things from Fairy Liquid bottles, yoghurt tubs and of course sticky back plastic......happy days makes me feel quite nostalgic thinking about it....sniff sniff, must have something in my eye.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I was watching it with the same 3 presenters as Legolas

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

John, Peter & Val for me too. I never tried making anything with SBP, WU bottles or toilet roll centres. I did have a meccano though, so perhaps the improvisations were beyond me :)

Like this post
Legolas

Likes # 0

Mike I won't read your link I don't want my rose tinted glasses smeared :))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room