We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Analog TV's and TV license

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I've got a couple of smallish old analog TV's euphamistically described as portables that are useless now that the analog tv transmitters have been turned off. For us its not really an issue because we get a uhf feed from our cable tv box but these smaller sets were used for games consoles. Now the thing is, the kids have asked if they can take them away to university to use with said consoles (N64 & gamecube) but will they need a tv license for them now that they cannot pick up broadcast tv anymore? I've tried the tv license website and all I seem to find is helpfull advice on how I can make it easier to be relieved of my money.

WTM

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

As long as they can receive somewhere in the country, then I reckon that they do still need a licence.

Also they're not totally useless if you use a freeview box. Most of us have changed TVs because it's a good excuse to bet a spacesaving flatscreen and gloss over the fact that we don't need to change them.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

no they are they will not need one when its all gone digital

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Presuming they don't have a Freeview box and are unable to receive any broadcasts, I wouldn't have thought they needed a licence.

I wouldn't think it is relevant if the TV could receive a broadcast in another area of the county - because you're not there in the other area of the country.

That's my understanding, anyway, for what it's worth ;)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The emphasis is on the device being capable of receiving a broadcast TV transmission. If it can do that, and it's in an area where there are suitable transmissions you (they) will need licences.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

So, if you had a TV stored in the garage, but not used (it being the only TV on the property) are you saying you need a license for it?

I understood the OP to be saying that, as an analogue TV, it wasn't able to receive the digital signal but in an area where analogue was not broadcast, would he need a license. So, by your definition, then this TV would not be capable of receiving a broadcast TV transmission.

Maybe I've just misunderstood what all the posts have said?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

So, if you had a TV stored in the garage, but not used (it being the only TV on the property) are you saying you need a license for it?

Technically yes, but you wouldn't have anyone breaking the door down to haul you off to TV prison.

An analogue TV can't receive digital transmissions, so no licence is required, but in an area where there are analogue transmission it must be licensed.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm not entirely sure about the freeview box argument. It seems that if all they need to recieve a tv signal is to plug in a piece of equipment ( a box) irrespective of whether they own such an item then the same can be said of an aerial. And I dont think the lack of an aerial would convince the licensing authorities. But I'm not thinking straight as I am too hot and tired to sleep, despite having an early start in the morning which I just know isnt going to go well.

WTM

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Surely the criterion is installing apparatus capable of receiving tv transmissions at a given address?

In the case of a Freeview box it is the box which is the "apparatus".

An analogue box in a digital area is no more capable of receiving transmissions than a SECAM television is in PAL area.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Why not just phone TV Licensing, or send them an email through their 'Contact us' page on their website?

I found them very helpful.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

My daughter is at Uni and has her HD TV and PS3 to watch Blu Ray discs. She completed the online declaration Click Here link towards the end, and does not need a licence.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow