We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why no alarm on this house?

Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

An elderly couple are woken by armed robbers in their bedroom at 1am, in a sleepy village. They were tied up and cash and valuable jewelry stolen. Why didn’t they have an alarm?

When I settle down in front of the TV in the evening, I set the alarm. This covers back and front doors, and the garage. When it is time to retire and go upstairs, I operate a switch in the airing cupboard which activates the motion sensors downstairs.

I predict that Monday morning will see quite a few alarm company vans on the streets.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

My alarm is an organic canine smart alarm:)

It can differentiate between normal and abnormal intrusions. It makes a reasoned assessment over whether to awaken the house or not (usually goes for the latter option for good measure). It can automatically detect when an aggressive (bark) or passive (waggy tail) stance should be actioned. It also doubles up as a waste food disposal unit, keep fit coordinator, and a comfort blanket.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...the former option...

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

Here is the report The Star

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Also You can get find for Alarms Going off and there is no one to disable it

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Unless an alarm is monitored then the usual reaction to a burglar alarm sounding is annoyance at the noise of yet another false alarm.

They almost certainly would have had at least 2 zones within the house, upstairs, downstairs as walking around eg to go to the loo would set the alarm off.

FE has already pointed out some of the reasons why they didn't have an alarm. Note also that a neighbour now say they will the lock the doors. This indicates that it is not normally an area of crime.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I have the same type of "organic canine" alarm as Quickbeam. It's a German Shepherd, and if you want to break into my house, feel free. Just don't blame me when you get hurt.

If, however, you are invited in, it will happily become your best friend.

Incidently, some years ago a freind of mine also had a GSD. Lovely big, soft thing it was. When it wanted you to go into the garden and play ball, it would come up to you, gently take your wrist in it's teeth and pull. I always found it better to go and play, rather than resist!!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Why no alarm on this house?"

Probably the same reason as there is not one on my house.

Older folk tend to waste their money on heating and eating!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Cheapskates?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Probably if they had an alarm they would forget and have the alarm going off a weird times.

Maybe they have but cannot remember the the password or numbers.

Or maybe like me nothing of value to steal.

I think houses with alarms in them are in a minority and not everyone has or wants one.

I think the sleepy village syndrome may have had something to do with it.

No problems for decades and then this happens.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Why didn’t they have an alarm?"

Perhaps they didn't see the need for one, or perhaps they couldn't afford the cost.

Perhaps they simply grew up in an age when it wasn't necessary to plaster your house with sensors and alarm boxes. Whatever the reason, it seems somewhat pointless asking why. The fact is that - like millions of other homes throughout Britain - there wasn't an alarm fitted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance