We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SAAB cars has anyone owned one?

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

I cant believe they are about to be bankrupt? ive never driven one so i dont mind any comments about them but they look lovely cars! and with all the latest technology? from what i see they look MUCH more classier than a few makes of cars on the road to name a few! and it would be such a shame to see them "disappear" forever..

BBC STORY

OLD ADVERT

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I owned an old SAAB 900 way back in the mid '90s. Tough as old boots and felt as though it was made from granite. Ignition switch on the centre console near the gear lever. Very reliable, but.......3 speed automatic and it drank fuel like it was going out of fashion.

I was very sorry when I had to get rid of it.

The trouble is, I think, that they are trying to sell in the same market as BMW, Mercedes etc., and they really can't compete when they only bring out a new model every ten years or so. The Swedish government won't help and their owner, Spyker, is having great trouble raising funds.

It will be sad if they do go to the wall.

Like this post
seekit

Likes # 0

I had a 96 (V4 not the older 3 cylinder 2 stroke) followed by a 99. Both excellent cars. Then SAABs gradually became diluted - latterly glorified GM - without the unique characteristics that made them what they were. Sadly very little room for "different" anymore. Amazing how many safety features were pioneered by SAAB and are now universal.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I'm still driving my 9000 CSE and I would be loathe to part with it. It just passed 100,000 a few days ago and so now I'm told it is run in. Not had a thing go wrong with it for years and years. I'll certainly miss them if the do go under.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I've driven loads of scanias if that counts? I know a lot of people who swear by them (scanias) but personally they arent to my taste. But I drove one today that had just passed 100,000 on the clock. That was a 10 plate...

WTM

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Not had one myself but my daughter has had three soft top 9-3s. She got a very good trade in price for her previous one earlier this year, and having recently learned of their financial state of affairs, I can well understand the high discount she also received on the new one. TC.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I had a three cylinder two stroke Saab in 1968.

An absolutely brilliant car as long as you remembered to add oil as well as petrol when refuelling;-)

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

A 99 in 1973 Triumph Dolomite engine with SAAB modified cylinder head. kept the beast 12 years/180,000 miles, in the early days it ate brake pads and silencers - but later that was sorted.- and except for a starter motor no other major repairs though. I I purchased and fitted the headlamp washer set- so had to go to a SAAB dealer for it. Whilst I was waiting I spied a stores man sitting ripping off the UniPart spark plug lead pack labels and stapling over the SAAB equivalent. I learned that as its bits'n'pieces were UniPart or Delco, once I was able to I/D the part I went the BMC/Vauxhall out lets for them. From then on I shopped very carefully.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Had a 900 Turbo,insanely fast but I regularly scared myself as torque steer was evil.The guy I sold it to,found out that the torque steer was uncontrollable on a wet road as he came to rest in someones front garden(4 days after I sold it)I don't particularly like any recent model of SAAB,though recall they did have good success many years ago as a rally car.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

My daughter had a 9-3 convertable and liked it, however she swapped it for an Audi last year after the original scare. I think she was right to do so, as the residual price will be severely affected if they go belly up.

Like this post
Davella

Likes # 0

I had a 900 EMS. blisteringly fast.I wish I still had it but a Skoda(old one)did for it in the 80's OUCH!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added