We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Burglar stabbed to death!

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Having been a victim of a terrible burglary some years ago my grandma had just died and we was storing all her pre WW2 and family photos/clothes and personal things, the photos was thrown out on the garden where it rained all night and they was unrecoverable! that hurt more than the things they took, I lost absolutely everything they even took my socks? and my suits?

i had been staying away for the night and my mother (I was living with her for a month) had stayed out for the night so no one was at home, we left the tv on curtains closed and lights on basically what a lot of people do and they ripped the kitchen window off its frame costing us quite a bit, i had also just lost my job and we couldnt afford the insurance for the house so really the burglar couldnt of picked a worse time to hit us!

After having a solid tipoff i took his binbags from his wheelie bin and found some of my things like my ID so i called the police and they said they knew of the guy he was known for aggravated burglaries and had just got out of prison for beating up a 85 year old man up he was trying to his house, the police stated they would send someone in the next hour to search his house....10 years later i am STILL waiting?? no call back from the police no knock on the door...

I hope the person who was in this house who was living here doesnt get a custodial sentence! IMHO if someone is about to rob another person or burgle a house they simply deserve ALL they get! whilst they may use the "I need the money for drugs" gaffe well there is plenty of people that need money but dont turn to crime...!

READ HERE

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I feel sorry the burglar who was stabbed, but if 4 persons broke into my house,especially if I(or my family) felt threatened, I would say to hell with the law and use whatever force it needed to protect my family and myself.

As I understand it, the burglars run away carrying their injured (NOT dead) friend who later died in the street, therefore it is the burglars who contributed to his death by the excerise of making him run, when immediate treatment would possibly have saved his life.

As far as I am concerned, if you break the law, you cannot expect to be protected by it

Terry

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you break the law you cannot expect to be protected by it

That, with great respect, is nonsense. You are protected by a system that says you are entitled to a fair hearing, and that applies whether you have exceeded the speed limit or robbed a bank, or broken into someone's house. The law protects you from people who - like you .- appear to think that they should be entitled to dish out summary justice.

Like this post
zzzz999

Likes # 0

Terry, he died because someone stabbed him

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

& u could sit back and call the Police and wait almost 10 years like i did for them to lockup the person i exposed...& STILL not have them seen too!, would u really just stand there on ur phone and call the police whilst ur family possessions was been robbed.??

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I know it is "oh so fashionable" these days to consider everybody else's feelings except those of the victim, when a crime has been committed. FE and FM trot out the usual party line "fair trial" blah blah "innocent till proven guilty" blah blah "human rights" blah blah.

What about the rights of the truly innocent party in these events? Yes the Victim! Where are his/her rights? The recent Milly Dowler murder case is a case in point, the serial killer who raped and murdered her has to have his human rights respected, he can refuse to attend court to hear his second whole life tariff sentence handed to him! However her grieving parents are subjected to a disgusting cross examination in the witness box at the hands of this murdering scum's QC!

I do wonder what the reaction of the FE and FM would be to be confronted by four masked men intent on who knows what in their own home in the early hours of the morning, when their wives or children are asleep in their beds?

Reason with them perhaps? Accept that they are a product of a difficult childhood, and allow them free reign to destroy their homes? Steal their possessions and rape and murder their family?

Or perhaps more realistically fight to the death to protect that which you have striven for and love above all else?

If that means blowing the heads off the scum that have invaded your home and threatened the lives of your family, would they hesitate at the thought of the legal process? Or would they like most people attempt with every fibre of their being to totally destroy those that threaten them and those they love?

I know what my reaction would be!

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Flak999

I think, if you read FE's post it actually explains what would be allowed, and in some of your examples you might be allowed to take extreme measures.

It is possible that, in certain circumstances, you could 'Blow the intruder's head off' - and I feel FE put the matter in context.

It has to be a 'reasonable' response - this is to protect anyone from nutters who might just wish to keep a shotgun and use it on any pretext!

And there are such people around, you only have to read some of the 'hang & flog the scum' brigade on here to see that?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

"the usual party line "fair trial" blah blah "innocent till proven guilty" blah blah "human rights" blah blah."

Your derisive reaction to what I've said does you no credit. I expected better from you, quite frankly.

First of all, I made absolutely no mention of human rights.

Secondly, the right to a fair trial and the presumption of innocence is not "the usual party line, blah, blah", but the foundation on which our entire criminal legal system is based. I would be astonished to hear that anyone with a sense of justice would be silly enough to suggest that it should be otherwise.

If I encountered 4 masked men in my house at night I would no doubt feel as you would feel - pretty scared. No doubt I would also take any necessary steps to protect myself and my family from harm if I thought they were in danger. I'm legally entitled to do that,as I explained in my earlier post, a fact you chose to completely ignore.

Adopting a macho pose, and waffling about "blowing the heads off the scum" is quite ridiculous. It presupposes that you have a firearm certificate,and that you keep a loaded gun in the house - something that few people with any sense would do.

Most normal people would fight to the death to protect those who they "love above all else?", but that's not what is being discussed here. We're talking about the legal right to use violence when threatened by a burglar, and I've explained that you already have that right, provided you and yours are being threatened or attacked, and provided the steps you take are 'reasonable' in the eyes of the law.

It might be an idea to try to understand all this before launching into overly-dramatic language about "blowing the heads off scum". That smacks of watching too many telly dramas.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"and provided the steps you take are 'reasonable' in the eyes of the law"

and therein lies the problem. It's too easy for the burglars to claim the victims over reacted in retaliation to them breaking in.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I despair at the way society is going.

AN ELDERLY couple have been tied up and robbed in their own home in a terrifying armed raid ClickHere

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

lovic...The system should be changed...PERIOD..! when scum bags like this in ur link do soooo wrong to such innocent people...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...