We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Radio 2 Listening Figures

LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

I have just heard on the One Show from Zoe Ball that Radio 2 has 40 million listeners. Does anyone know how this is calculated. Is she saying that two thirds of our population listen to Radio 2 - and how often? I've often heard that Wogan or some other programme host has two million listeners but is this per show, per hour or per week etc? The country's most favourite comedy TV show attracted an audience in the region of 24/29 million (I cannot remember the figure and I haven't looked it up as I cannot be bothered to check) but is Radio 2 consistently beating this figure by its boast of 40 million listeners? Is anyone able to explain how these figures are calculated or, dare I say, doctored?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Chris Evans' Breakfast Show has around 10m listeners, about 1m more than Wogan ever garnered. I think that around 40m people listen to Radio 2 at some point during the week.

The figures are compiled by RAJAR, who have around 130,000 people who compile a listening diary for one week, broken down in 15 minute chunks, 4 times a year. These diary figures are then scaled up to the whole population

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I don't know where Zoe Ball got the 40 million figure from.

10.9 million people listen to Radio 2 each week.

10.3 listen to Radio 1.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

The figures are compiled by RAJAR, who have around 130,000 people who compile a listening diary for one week, broken down in 15 minute chunks, 4 times a year. These diary figures are then scaled up to the whole population

It beats me how they can possibly think this is representative of the population?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

octal

130,000 is a really large sample size - compare if you will to the younger skin type creme adverts on the TV, which typically results from samples barely into three figures...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

130,000 people is actually a massive sample and the information from their listening diaries will provide an extremely accurate indication of the nation's listening habits.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

I thought I was getting old because I have started enjoying Radio 2 looks like im not alone. Never liked Chris Evans back in in th 90s but quite enjoy his show now.

Noldi

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

Just taking the Forum Editor's example, does the Radio 2 viewing figure mean that its daily audience is 10.9m divided by 7 = 1.55m daily?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

LimestoneRock

The total listening figure is everyone who listens to the station at some point in the week, which is over 14.3m (maybe the OP mis-heard Zoe, or she mis-spoke). The highest rated show in the UK is Chris Evans' Breakfast Show, which pulls in more than 9m listeners at peak time around 8am (probably 8:05 on Friday when he plays Candy Man).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Nobody puts the radio on at that time to listen to Chris Evans.

The radio is on because 14.3 million people are on their way to work and need Sally Traffic to tell us how to avoid the jams.

:0)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Quite apart from the fact that Chris Evans has increased the listening figures since he took over - which proves that people are tuning in for him, Sally Traffic is on in the afternoon, so isn't much help with the morning queues...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks