We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cover Songs

Condom

Likes # 0

Most of us probably prefer the original versions of songs sung as the writer(s) intended but what covers do people think are better than the originals? My two personal favourites are "Lilac Wine" by Elkie Brooks which I think is streets ahead of the original Ertha Kitt version and "With A Little Help From My Friends" by Joe Cocker which I consider to be even better than the Beatles version.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Steve Harley's cover of Here Comes The Sun was also better than the Beatles version.

But for purely different, but not necessarily for the better, The Sex Pistols cover of Frank Sinatra's My way deserves a raised eyebrow and a wry smile, as does Alex Harvey's cover of Delilah.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Not to most people's taste, but I do enjoy the many cover versions performed by Mark E Smith and his rotating Fall line-up.

There's A Ghost In My House and White Lightning are a particular joy.

I also like Flunk's version of New Order's Blue Monday, taking a pumping electro beat and turning it into a folk song is a stroke of genius.

Kirsty McColl's cover of New England is better than Billy Bragg's original, and Elvis Costello's cover of Robert Wyatt's Shipbuilding is equal to the original.

Not a popular choice, but The Swan's reworking of Joy Division's classic Love Will Tear Us Apart is very good as well, changing the style, and tempo of the tune means it's almost unrecognisable, but still good.

Finally, Frank Zappa, a very prolific songwriter himself, with almost 1,500 songs in his catalogue, did some very interesting covers in his live sets. The reggae version of Stairway to Heaven is brilliant, and I also like his covers of Purple Haze and Ring of Fire.

I think in order to record a successful cover of a song you need to make it your own, by changing the arrangement, and perhaps change the gender of the vocalist.

In order to record a terrible cover you just need to involve Simon Cowell at some stage...

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

alan14 Are you trying to jeapordise my post by mentioning that man's name? :-))

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Condom

Which man?

If it's the man in the last line then I apologise :-)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Johnny Cash's U2 cover of One works for me, after a life lived to the full, he has a unique passion that comes out in it when he knows his days are numbered.

One

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Ah haa, you've just reminded me of the greatest cover version ever. It didn't differ a great deal from the original, but the shear power of the song is amazing, especially when you consider he was close to death when he recorded the song.

Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nail's Hurt.

In fact there are a number of fantastic covers on Cash's 5 American Recordings series albums, espically the cover of Sting's I Hung My Head, Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus and We'll Meet Again.

I've also just remembered the many fantastic recordings Scott Walker made of Jacques Brel songs

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Eva Cassidy's "Over the rainbow"

Only Men Aloud's singing Peter Skellern's "You're a lady"

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

Johnny Cash's cover of Nine Inch Nail's Hurt. or Metallica doing pretty much any track on their Garage Inc Covers Album. Most that they done were brilliant.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

"Human" (Tin Tin out remix) Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders is my personal favourite, but SO many on Eric Claptons August Album too!

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 0

'The Baseballs' doing Rhianna's Umbrella.

link text

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone