We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Eye floaters

rawprawn
Resolved

Likes # 0

4 days ago I woke up to find an enormous eye floater, I had just ordered a new pair of glasses and saw the optician straight Away. She informed me I had quite a big floater and being over 70 this was not unusual. It is driving me mad, I have difficulty with my computer as quite a lot is blocked out. I am told there is nothing I can do, I am pretty fit and never thought about something like this. Has anybody got experience of this problem and offer any advice. Thanks RP

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

See your Doctor and get referred to the Eye Clinic. There could well be something that can be done.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi rawprawn

Sorry to hear about this. It certainly sounds frustrating

Check out here which is an NHS site. It gives some general information. I hope it helps.

Hopefully, someone who has more knowledge can reassure you

Good luck

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

in extreem cases the eye jelly is removed and replaced with optical jel

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

rawprawn

i read up a lot on eyes recently as i suffer flashing bright lights, exploding pixel like things and things like the bonanza opening map all linked to migraine. only get a few times a day but very annoying i know how you must feel

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Thanks for the answers, I have looked on the internet but there doesn't seem to be a cure. I am told (and have read) that it will become less noticable in 2 or 3 months time. I do really hope so! I was working in the garden this morning and I didn't notice it very much. However if I watch TV, read a newspaper or use my computer it is a real bummer. If anyone has experience please let me know. Thanks RP

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

AroundAgain Mine are cloud like, but having read your link it only really confirms what I have been told. Thank you anyway.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I am told there is nothing I can do

Broadly speaking I think that's correct. There is a surgical treatment - called Vitrectomy - but I believe the potential risks outweigh the benefits in all but the most severe cases.

A trip to Moorfields eye hospital in London would get you the best advice in the world about eye problems. You'll wait a long time, but it's worth it.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I had several at one time but since my blood pressure has been adjusted I haven't had any for several years. I found the most annoying thing was trying to move my eye to see something and the damn thing kept moving back into the line of sight. All of mine went away in a few weeks.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 1

Time is the only cure- assuming that other checks have proved positive.

My late wife awoke one morning with no vision in one eye at all.

A visit to the local A&E- and they sent her poste haste in ambulance with all the blues and twos to a nearby hospital with an ophthalmic unit.

And after examination - that was the remedy - Time -and truse enough the floater broke up and was flushed away over a period of weeks.

Very frighteing at the time though.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

SparkeJack thanks, at least that gives me some hope, Iwill try and be patient and hope for the best.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...