We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What first brought you here?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Driving back to the office this afternoon I got to wondering - how did you first become involved with our forum?

I'm not asking when, but how - what first brought you to the PCA site, was it because you read about it in the magazine, heard about it from someone, or did you come here as a result of a Google search, or a link on another web-site? Perhaps you can't remember, it was so long ago?

If you can remember I would like to hear about it. I'm also interested to discover how many women take part in forum activities, but I do not in any way want to intrude on anyone's right to privacy - obviously there's no need to tell me if you would rather not; It's simply a matter of personal interest on my part.

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

The stats say I joined 7 years ago but would swear it was 10 years. I take great pride in possibly being the only forum member to keep the 4 digit user name allocated at registration, ha ha. I think I was obsessed with computing at the time and did a search for pc forums. I very quickly got the sense that the average age of contributors to SC was a little higher than elsewhere - that was A Good Thing after using the digital spy forums.
I am going to make an effort and go back to checking the Helproom from time to time. We all have useful knowledge - I have just solved an XP lockup/freeze problem, after months, where all the clues were leading me down the wrong path. Google had the answer but it was on page 20 - It would be great to save someone from a load of frustration at some point.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Must start taking the tablets again as try as I might I can't remember why I joined. Probably to get some help with a building project. I think I must have been around for 5-7 years or so but I sometimes vanish when I'm overseas. I think I started out with PC Magazine about 15 years ago and then moved on to PC Direct and then PCA.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

It says I've been here 6yrs,but I am sure its quite a lot longer.I came here with a win98 problem,have had races with Tazfan to setup a home network when I moved house(which was in 99)If I could find the paperwork for my first PC(Compaq Presario)it would tell me the year I joined PCA.I was an avid follower of flecc & his SPEEDOS (win98 with all the useless stuff removed) and recall passing on to him that the defrag from M.E was faster than the defrag in 98.I have swapped my username a few times(Linuxuser was one)before reverting back to my old nickname from school.I think the reason for my 6yrs membership is likely because I've had to change my email address many times until finally hanging onto a hotmail address for many years(previously used ISP allocated addresses and I've changed ISP more often than I've seen my Mother in the last 15-20 yrs lol)I was a regular poster in the Helproom until I obtained a second PC which sat beside my main machine & was used to find information to fix the main PC(and win98 needed lots of fixing,until I got a stable install that would run for months problem free)

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Several people have suggested they`ve been here longer than their profile states so what determines a profile? Is it the username or the e-mail addresss or what? I too had a previous username before I settled on this one which I must have had for at least 18 months.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Lots of people have had more than one username - for one reason or another - and that's the reason they may say they have been here longer than their profile suggests.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

FE

How did you end up being FE here on PCA?

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

I was having problem with Internet Explorer... I was fairly new to computers, (this would have been about spring 2001).

I saw ad avert for this online advice forum on the back of a magazine someone was reading on the train.

I couldn't remember the website address, so I bought the magazine, just to get the address.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I'm sure through Google following the need for answers. It soon became clear this was the place to be and it remains one of two home pages for me.

Not a regular poster now I still lurk and enjoy the strange experience of "knowing" people I have never met. In spite of my user name I am male, I chose "anskyber" because it happened to be a house name in Cornwall where I lived at the time. (It means "the barn" incidentally)

Like this post
J B

Likes # 0

I first bought a computer in 2005 and within an hour I bought the current issue of PCA. I read it from cover to cover where I saw an invite to join the forum. Since then I visit everyday to see what is going on and contribute when I can. I think that it is a very good magazine and a great forum, keep it up please!!!!

J.B.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014