We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What first brought you here?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Driving back to the office this afternoon I got to wondering - how did you first become involved with our forum?

I'm not asking when, but how - what first brought you to the PCA site, was it because you read about it in the magazine, heard about it from someone, or did you come here as a result of a Google search, or a link on another web-site? Perhaps you can't remember, it was so long ago?

If you can remember I would like to hear about it. I'm also interested to discover how many women take part in forum activities, but I do not in any way want to intrude on anyone's right to privacy - obviously there's no need to tell me if you would rather not; It's simply a matter of personal interest on my part.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

PCA was recommended to me by one of my university lecturers when I first started in computing back in 1999. I was registered under another username then though, a member objected to it so I changed to this one. My stats say I have been registered for 10.3 years, including the original name it would be around 10.6, I think?

recap

Like this post
Newuser38

Likes # 0

It has to be from reading the magazine 10.5 years ago. I lurk more than take an active part these days, apart from beta testing.(still looking forward to NIS2012!)After a lot of self debate I sent off my cheque for PCA renewal last week.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I can't remember what I did last week, never mind about nearly seven years ago! However, I was well into PC Magazines about ten years ago, especially PC Home which helped me a lot with my then brand-new Amiga 1200 - those were the days - I do remember buying PC Advisor too, so probably came here as a result. I used to buy just about every PC Mag going at the time as I was a complete newbie at the age of 65, the magazines stood me in good stead over the years.

I am one us, reincarnated from a previous life here on the Forums.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Ooops .... I am one us, should read - I am one of us, etc ...

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I bought my first PC back in 2000 as needed for kids homework new nothing about them and was determined to find out so went out and bought a handful of magazines the best of which was PCA so guessed their forums would be the best (was not wrong there), read the magazine ever since and have been a subsriber for a while now and never looked back.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like others I am a regular reader of the magazine, and when I retired from full time work, found the lack of IT support, coupled with more unreliable software and hardware than now, meant that joining the forum was a good way to get advice. In particular following a virus attack I became obsessive with back up and (free) anti virus and anti malware. I still appreciate others experience in this area and occasionally try to share my experience with newcommers as I learn more, in such areas as iPods, etc. I sometimes cannot resist the speaker's corner, but the helproom is my main interest. I jumped from XP to W7, avoiding Vista , following this forum's views, for example. Long may it continue.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

My first experience with computers was 12 years ago,using my sisters.I did not give much if any thought to security issues and just clicked randomly.Hence i was the one who destroyed her PC. That sudden awareness led to me eventually clicking onto a link for a forum and i was blown away by the advice and indeed the patience afforded to a poster with a serious problem and so subscribed to a number of forums.There are those i visit more regularly than before as choices are made but as of now the experience has inspired me to attempt to build my first PC,even though i do not have the technical knowledge to do so. I know that within a forum help and assistance are but a click away.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Been a subscriber for years but bought the mag regularly before that, came here on site because I had a problem and needed help.

In the process learnt a lot and stayed on (has it really been 10 yrs) to pass that knowledge on to those others in panic mode for whatever reason their machine doesn't do what you think it should.

:0)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The marvellous thing - for me at least - is to see so many familiar names mixed with the newer ones, and to be reminded that there's such a wealth of computing experience here, all available, free of charge, to anyone who needs a bit of help.

Like this post
wellshgit

Likes # 0

My posts tell me I have been a member since oct. 2006, but I actually joined a few years earlier as welshgit (one l).I moved, and was without internet access for a few years. When I tried to log on again, I had forgotten my password, so I reregistered as wellshgit. I came here in the first place after buying the magazine, and obtained lots of help from the forums when I built my first computer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes