We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What first brought you here?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Driving back to the office this afternoon I got to wondering - how did you first become involved with our forum?

I'm not asking when, but how - what first brought you to the PCA site, was it because you read about it in the magazine, heard about it from someone, or did you come here as a result of a Google search, or a link on another web-site? Perhaps you can't remember, it was so long ago?

If you can remember I would like to hear about it. I'm also interested to discover how many women take part in forum activities, but I do not in any way want to intrude on anyone's right to privacy - obviously there's no need to tell me if you would rather not; It's simply a matter of personal interest on my part.

Like this post
DANZIG

Likes # 0

When I first bought a proper PC many moons ago, I used to get various PC magazines. However I decided PCA was by the far the best - hence I signed up and the rest is history.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Exactly ten and a half years ago, today I believe, I stumbled upon the PCA website and I've been here ever since. I was on dial-up then but nevertheless determined to gain some knowledge of this here computing lark. I've learned much over this happy period and had real satisfaction when helping out where I could. Unfortunately these days I have to write down or print out information in order to retain most of it - can't trust the old memory banks too much now, I'm afraid! :o)

Reading through this thread it is good to see many members from the past appearing again, and I hope they will continue to do so. TC.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Typical !! I didn't read fully what the FE wrote.

What brought me here, I think, was when I was looking for an answer to a Win 95SE problem, or it could have beem Win ME ! TC.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I found the site about 5 years ago I guess. Cannot remember my first question but I suspect it was a pretty basic one as I was learning to build my first PC about then. I was impressed by the speed and the quality of the answer I received. Now I make a point of telling others who I am helping to build or upgrade their PCs that if I am not around to sort their problems out PCA Forums are the next best thing. One of the UK's best forum sites as far as I am concerned

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

I came to the forums through subscribing to PCA 7+ years ago. I had a problem, signed up, asked in Helproom, and got the solution in minutes!

Since then, I've found the forums invaluable - indispensable - on a (very) few occasions not getting an answer - but always finding folk friendly, knowledgable, patient and ever willing to explain and help - not least our good FE himself! I've recommened PCA and the forums to umpteen friends etc!

I wouldn't want to be without either the magazine or the forums!

Long may they thrive!

Like this post
nangadef

Likes # 0

I was an avid reader of the magazine and bought my first two major computers (not ZX81 etc) via articles/recommendations and adverts therein.

Through the magazine I joined the PCA forum back in December 2000.

I'd like to thank the contributors who helped me back in those days - and I hope I did a little bit in return.

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

the magazine brought me here had been reading your fine publication for several months and then disaster struck. I remembered something about a forum after a hasty look through the mag finally found the site adress and the guys and girls got me sorted been lurking ever since with the occasional post if i feel it can help

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Hooray! The promised tweaking has cheered me no end. My Posts, fast and stable again at last!

My posts no longer scare me, those overblown numbers -- 6807 posts and the whole screen rearranging itself several times before it eventually gave me what I was seeking.

Credited with 9.4years, but some time before that with a silly name which I can't remember. Probably browsing looking for answers to 98 foul-ups brought me to this splendid forum.

PCA forum has no equal, but talk of a difficult re-birth! When the new site opened and for a long time since, I feared the baby would never thrive and I had lost a friend.

In earlier days I had personal help from flecc particularly, and was able to offer to 98 crash-victims, my mantra of the time... scanreg /restore.

Like this post
mymate

Likes # 0

My brother told me about this site i think about 7 years ago. I had a different sign in name then and i forgot my password so signed up again with different name. I am a woman who has learned about computers from the helpful people on this site.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

It seems a large number of us came here via the exelent magazine or via google, I wonder what the percentage is?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia