We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What first brought you here?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Driving back to the office this afternoon I got to wondering - how did you first become involved with our forum?

I'm not asking when, but how - what first brought you to the PCA site, was it because you read about it in the magazine, heard about it from someone, or did you come here as a result of a Google search, or a link on another web-site? Perhaps you can't remember, it was so long ago?

If you can remember I would like to hear about it. I'm also interested to discover how many women take part in forum activities, but I do not in any way want to intrude on anyone's right to privacy - obviously there's no need to tell me if you would rather not; It's simply a matter of personal interest on my part.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yep I remember those days well, there was a lot Banned. some contacted me complaining for better word excuses for there actions. I think I had moved up from Win95 to first version of Win98 before se version came along. It did fill the void for a small part after I lost my wife Aug 94

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Also remember a spate of Spamming on PCA forum. That subsided after a while and we have not had it bad since those days

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

Those days are indelibly stamped in my memory - nightly fights, and some disgraceful language and personal abuse. It was that which led to the closure of 'The Lounge' - yesteryear's version of Speakers Corner - and was a classic example of how a few badly behaved individuals can spoil something for many.

I still have a folder containing some of the email abuse I received at the time, and reading it now brings memories of those days and nights flooding back. It was the closure of the lounge that precipitated the mass spamming of other forum areas.

Good to see you're still with us in happier times.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yep I still like to help where I can, but its not getting any easier at 75

Like this post
colberly

Likes # 0

Can't remember which year, it was so long ago, but I came to the forum via the mag initially, I know I hadn't been on the internet for long & was still using Windows 98. In the past many PCA members have helped with any problems I had for which I am grateful & who could forget the lounge? Don't take part in too many activities nowadays but I do visit most days & BTW I am female. :)

Like this post
ella33

Likes # 0

I found PCA website about 18 months ago, when I was googling questions and PCA just arrived! Or so it seemed. I was also interested in forums and making more use of the internet at that time. The computer information and other discussions, including the fun side of this site (which is not really allowed!!) appealed to me and I returned to read the discussions and find information. Winning a couple of nice prizes was also appealing! Thanks PC Advisor, it is good in a many different ways. I have been offline more lately, due to life and things but it is always good to pop back and see what's going on. (Am I calling it a comfy pair of shoes?!?) Oh and yes, I am female, of course!

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

That's at least three of us then!

Like this post
paddyjack

Likes # 0

Can not remember exactly when 10 plus years ago. Neither can I remember how I found this site. I have not made that many post but I look in most days and over the years I have enjoyed many good laughs with the banter on here. Indeed I do remember once putting it to the FE that he should compile a list of the funnier posts and publish them in book form.

Long may the fourm remain.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

And FE as had is share of PC problem, one being a Floppy Drive that refused to show up most of the time in is PC. Think he also fitted a different make Hard Drive to a Laptop, and it did not like it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

What a good memory - the rogue floppy drive was a complete mystery at the time. It was in a client's desktop, and I obviously sorted it out eventually, but I can't remember how.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'