We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What first brought you here?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Driving back to the office this afternoon I got to wondering - how did you first become involved with our forum?

I'm not asking when, but how - what first brought you to the PCA site, was it because you read about it in the magazine, heard about it from someone, or did you come here as a result of a Google search, or a link on another web-site? Perhaps you can't remember, it was so long ago?

If you can remember I would like to hear about it. I'm also interested to discover how many women take part in forum activities, but I do not in any way want to intrude on anyone's right to privacy - obviously there's no need to tell me if you would rather not; It's simply a matter of personal interest on my part.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I've been here 9 years as "wee eddie", but I was here before and cannot remember my handle.

I seem to remember long discussions about the risks of the Millennium Bug and how one would deal with it. Maybe that was elsewhere but I doubt it, no other Forum had the immediacy of this one.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Here's one of my early posts which has me reformatting for the new cable broadband that I've just has put in. I wouldn't need to ask this now, the PCA help forum has done me good service over the years.

Matutinus Quickbeam Postis

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

I first came to this site because after getting one of my first ever computers I realised that I knew nothing about them, a friend had recommended your mag as a way to try and understand the workings of a computer and after reading that mag I came to this site.

At the time the best bit of money I had invested in a magazine, it made me realise that a PC was not some mystical box but a bunch Lego parts any body can put together and with the help of this site you can make it work.

Been here a long time and looking back have to thank Gateway Computers for selling me a bunch of crap that never worked properly from day one with a "technical helpline" that was even worse.

Theres a saying that theres always a plus side to every thing.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

The obvious, a comp problem. Then found it to be both a very helpful and interesting site.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

My old username says I joined in 2001. I was advised to pop in the Helproom for advice on a problem I was having on a Win98 issue by a workmate.

The Helproom and it's search facility are the first place I still go to with any problems I encounter.

Like this post
anchor

Likes # 0

To be honest I cannot quite recall; (its over 10 years). I assume that, as a PCA magazine subscriber, I read about it there and registered.

It has been a constant source of information, and sometimes amusement. I am still undecided about the new look forum

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

Came by the mags of PCA and PCA. PCAdvisor and PC Answers( now defunct)both had links to forums.

Stats say I have been a member for 9+ years but having switched BB supplier I lost my original email address so had to re register. I certainly remember posting pre millennium bug, so it must 11years +.

retry as I have the * please wait*

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

I first registered after reading the PCA

Like this post
DANZIG

Likes # 0

When I first bought a proper PC many moons ago, I used to get various PC magazines. However I decided PCA was by the far the best - hence I signed up and the rest is history.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Exactly ten and a half years ago, today I believe, I stumbled upon the PCA website and I've been here ever since. I was on dial-up then but nevertheless determined to gain some knowledge of this here computing lark. I've learned much over this happy period and had real satisfaction when helping out where I could. Unfortunately these days I have to write down or print out information in order to retain most of it - can't trust the old memory banks too much now, I'm afraid! :o)

Reading through this thread it is good to see many members from the past appearing again, and I hope they will continue to do so. TC.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...