We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What first brought you here?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Driving back to the office this afternoon I got to wondering - how did you first become involved with our forum?

I'm not asking when, but how - what first brought you to the PCA site, was it because you read about it in the magazine, heard about it from someone, or did you come here as a result of a Google search, or a link on another web-site? Perhaps you can't remember, it was so long ago?

If you can remember I would like to hear about it. I'm also interested to discover how many women take part in forum activities, but I do not in any way want to intrude on anyone's right to privacy - obviously there's no need to tell me if you would rather not; It's simply a matter of personal interest on my part.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I had been buying the magazine on and off for some time before I purchased my first Wintel machine and became a member of the online fraternity. It seemed a natural progression to join the PCA online as I was, by then, subscribed to the magazine.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I have been here longer than I care to remember. I was looking for help with a Windows problem and found this site through a search engine, Google, I think. Been here ever since!

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

I only joined to keep an eye on Bingalau and Brumas, and to ensure that they took their medication.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

I first joined in (FE will Know) when living the other side of Cardiff In around 2000? I was looking for a decent PC based forum, and PCW fit the bill exactly. I later became a magazine subscriber and active participant here.

Have just returned to the site!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Macscouse, It’s good to see that the staff at Broadmoor were forward thinking when they finally realised that access to a computer would be beneficial and contribute to your long term rehabilitation ;o}}

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Brumas: It's good to see the banter hasn't changed LOL are you three STILL at it?

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

This question has caused me to look up when I "arrived" and I find that it is my 10th. anniversary next month. I found the forum from a copy of the magazine which I bought and I have, honestly, never looked for another PC Forum which I think would be a waste of time. These forums do what they say on the tins. I will never change my name as I have gotten quite attached to it. I'll use this thread to say a word of thanks to those responsible for keeping the forums running and everyone who has helped me and I hope I have been able to help some members as well.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

"*FE How did you end up being FE here on PCA?*"

It's a long story, but to cut it short.....

I joined the forum when it was first launched, and rapidly became hooked. In those far off days there were relatively few of us, and we mainly seemed to indulge in late night discussions - setting the world to rights, as you do.

After a few months of that we were invaded (for want of a better word) by a group of people whose main object in life seemed to be to disrupt proceedings as much as possible with offensive personal comments and unacceptable language. A few of us tried to calm things down, but it went from bad to worse, and one day, out of the blue, I was contacted by PCA with a proposal - would I be prepared to act as a behind the scenes moderator?

The idea was that I would have the ability to delete posts and ban people, but nobody would know it was me - I was a ghost FE if you like.

That seemed to work fairly well, but it became more and more difficult to maintain the subterfuge, and - again out of the blue - I was asked if I would take the forums on as a permanent Forum Editor, whilst still running my 'other' business life as an IT consultant. I said yes, thinking that it would be an interesting project for a few months; a year at most.

That was over ten years ago, and you know the rest.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yep I remember those days well, there was a lot Banned. some contacted me complaining for better word excuses for there actions. I think I had moved up from Win95 to first version of Win98 before se version came along. It did fill the void for a small part after I lost my wife Aug 94

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Also remember a spate of Spamming on PCA forum. That subsided after a while and we have not had it bad since those days

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......