We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What first brought you here?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Driving back to the office this afternoon I got to wondering - how did you first become involved with our forum?

I'm not asking when, but how - what first brought you to the PCA site, was it because you read about it in the magazine, heard about it from someone, or did you come here as a result of a Google search, or a link on another web-site? Perhaps you can't remember, it was so long ago?

If you can remember I would like to hear about it. I'm also interested to discover how many women take part in forum activities, but I do not in any way want to intrude on anyone's right to privacy - obviously there's no need to tell me if you would rather not; It's simply a matter of personal interest on my part.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

I used to be a subscriber to the Magazine, but when the pages of adverts started to outnumber the articles, I gave up and just used these forum pages for all the good advice from members. Cant remember when it was, but I remember telling Noah to keep a good lookout near some high ground near Arrarat !

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I found the web address in the magazine, read the forums for a while and got hooked.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Well now the Magazinme when I was struggling with my first PC after years of messing with Atari ST's and turning them into something else .

When was that?

My first user name was jack- might give you a clue.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Same as quite a few others, I picked up the website address from the magazine, 10 years ago, according to My Postings page. After having been used to having a technical department just down the corridor, I felt bereft when I sat in front of my first computer at home and then I turned to you all for help.

You've stood me in good stead over the years and I've really enjoyed the experience. I well remember the day when the FE announced to all and sundry that he was taking on this job, and how pleased people were.

I don't get the impression that there are too many women behind some of the nicknames, but I could be wrong, of course. Umm, I'm one, anyway!

Like this post
lucky1

Likes # 0

I had many problems with Windows M.E. (remember that OS!). I then bought the magazine and saw reference to the Forum. That was nearly ten years ago. Like many others I have received much help and support from the regulars here. Thank you.

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

When the Magazine announced it I came a long and read a bit then signed up a month or two later.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

I came via the link in the mag, had a printer problem in W98, solved it here. haven't been able to keep away since.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Joined the site on March 2001, I think I was having trouble with a new build PC, I was a subscriber to the magazine for quite some time, so I imagine I found my way here via a mention in the magazine.

The helproom provided much useful information whilst I was working for a spell as a PC repair engineer.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

It wasn't Google as I said earlier, I was on Freeserve, does anyone remember them? They used to use Lyscos as their search engine, it was though them I found this site. It was all on dialup, those were the days. I still can't remember what I was searching for.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

PCA was recommended to me by one of my university lecturers when I first started in computing back in 1999. I was registered under another username then though, a member objected to it so I changed to this one. My stats say I have been registered for 10.3 years, including the original name it would be around 10.6, I think?

recap

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...