We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What first brought you here?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Driving back to the office this afternoon I got to wondering - how did you first become involved with our forum?

I'm not asking when, but how - what first brought you to the PCA site, was it because you read about it in the magazine, heard about it from someone, or did you come here as a result of a Google search, or a link on another web-site? Perhaps you can't remember, it was so long ago?

If you can remember I would like to hear about it. I'm also interested to discover how many women take part in forum activities, but I do not in any way want to intrude on anyone's right to privacy - obviously there's no need to tell me if you would rather not; It's simply a matter of personal interest on my part.

Like this post
CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

I joined the PCA forum over 7 years ago when I first bought a copy of PC Advisor.

There was a link to the forum and so I registered.

I've not been a prolific poster over the years but I usually visit most days.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I was referred to this forum by my brother who was a magazine subscriber. That was over nine and a half years ago now, I think the combination of good advice and interesting discussion is what has kept me here.

Now that I am retired I browse the forum most days!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

CurlyWhirly

Thanks. Your user-name is certainly one I remember from way back, and you're every bit as welcome as the most prolific poster.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I registered with the Forum in February 2001 but it took me 2 years to make my first post, if the Forum records are correct. I almost certainly came via a search engine and back in the day my favourite was Dogpile although today I invariably use Google. For many years I was a PCA subscriber and bought occasional copies prior to that. Thanks to the advice I have received from this Forum over the years I have hopefully been able to help newcomers.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I really cant remember but way back when I did I used to have the magazine so Im pretty certain it was from a link in there that brought me here. At the time I used to wait patiently for the magazine to arrive every month and had read it by the end of the day. Nowadays I pick up the info on a daily basis and buy the magazine when I particularly want something on the cover disc or if Im going on a long journey and want some reading material - theres always something I`ve missed online!

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

What a good question. I'm trying to think back when I used to use my old screen name Valvegrid which must date back 11 or 12 years. I think I must have been looking on Google for some computer related problem when I came across the forum.

It will be interesting to ask this question again in another 10 years.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

from the PCA Mag which was a lot better back in the day 8 years or so ago, i was doing night school on computer building and repairs found the forum very helpful then. just never stopped reaing it.

a lot of the old regulars have either morped into another user name,found another life aweay from PCA or passed away.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I can't remember exactly why, but it would have been a PC related problem that would have been sorted by the membership pretty quickly. I was already buying the mag and reading all the various problems. Being new to PCs at the time it was all new stuff to me then. Now I don't read all the helproom problems so much, I read read the reviews, especially when I'm in the market for something new, and cause minor annoyance here...;)

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I came seeking help 6 years ago, SpikeyChris (great guy)helped me a great deal and I have been comming back ever since. It's a great forum where people not only help others, but are also sympathetic to members problems and frustrations.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

And I think you cannot forget me, before you joined the PCA team. and it was the PCA magazine that got me hear, that's why I like the Help Forum, but as I said in another thread its not the same as was in the past as OS as become more stable and its easy to put things right if you have a problem using an Acronis Image. Hardware seems as if its got more reliable also. Remember China cannot remember the spelling of it but it will strike a cord. and flecc who moved on to bigger things. Wonder how old he is now and how he is copping. A lot of Water gone under the bridge since those days

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...