We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Absent fathers should be stigmatised by society

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

in the same way as drink-drivers, the Prime Minister has said.

Are drink-drivers stigmatised by society?

Sometimes I wonder if David Cameron is living in the same society as me. He seems fond of making these 'should' remarks, saying this should happen and that should come about, as if merely saying it is going to make it so.

I imagine that fathers who abandon the women they got pregnant, and subsequently want nothing to do with the child they fathered are not really capable of feeling stigmatised by much at all - I certainly don't think that saying "They should be looked at like drink-drivers, people who are beyond the pale." is likely to resolve the problem.

What might be a great deal more effective is legislation to stop society having to fund the results of irresponsible behaviour. Perhaps society should direct a bit of stigmatising at the girls who indulge in unprotected sex, safe in the knowledge that they'll be provided with a free flat and plenty of benefits, so they can join their mates as they all push their babies up and down to McDonalds in expensive buggies.

David Cameron knows little of such things, and perhaps that's not his fault - he is comfortably off - but the least he, as Prime Minister, could do is take some time to get some 'horse's mouth' briefing on the problem from the social welfare people who face it every day of their lives. I bet he hasn't asked one of them what they think.

I'm sorry David, but you're completely failing to inspire me with any confidence in your ability to understand our current society, never mind the big one that you trumpeted so loudly such a short while ago.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Some single girls need to be returned to their family to complete their education. The family should be made to support them not the state.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......