We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How much does google know about you

Kevscar1

Likes # 0

You can find out here.

https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=datasummary&passive=900&continue=https://www.google.com/dashboard/&followup=https://www.google.com/dashboard/

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

No more than I've told them, why?

Like this post
richardsole

Likes # 0

**How much does google know about you --------------------------------------------------------------------------------**

What if you do not have a google account?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Kevscar

thanks an eye opener.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Very interesting. It is mostly harmless stuff, but it is surprising how much information is retained via Google Checkout, Gmail, Maps, Picasa etc.

I suppose it is the price we pay for convenience and we have to rely on Google data remaining secure on its servers. That is not a gimme judging by data losses elsewhere e.g. Sony. I shall not lose any sleep over it, however.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

richardsole

If you don't have a google login there will be no way of google relating information to you between sessions if you delete the google cookie.

Personally I like the convenience of having a google login as it lets me check my email anywhere, plus keep my calender synchronised between my work PC, home PC and mobile. I also like, but find it vaguely disturbing, the fact that google knows where I am when using my mobile, so the weather forecast is based on my current location, and search results are sorted by location.

If you have an account, logging into the dashboard will allow you to delete any and all information you wish to dispose off...

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

I regularily delete all my cookies but the info still shows so it's obvious that google stores everything they find out about you in a database on their servers.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Worrying about such things is pointless. If you use an internet-connected computer information about you will sooner or later be on dozens of different databases.

Take common-sense precautions, use anti-virus and anti-malware software, don't disclose information unless you are sure you know who you're dealing with, and stay clear of the murky side of the web.

Do those things, and relax. It's impossible to live nowadays without all kinds of people knowing all kinds of things about you.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Totally underwhelmed!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

My wife knows more about me than Google does. She can even read my mind which is a bit worrying at times.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...