We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MP comes under fire over disabled comment

john 52

Likes # 1

MP has suggested "vulnerable" jobseekers - including disabled people - should be allowed to work for less than the minimum wag

What a disgrace I am pleased David Cameron has quickly distanced himself from the comment. He should go further and and suspend him from the party until an apology is made by the MP

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Nice theory, Spider9.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

I agree about pay not being everything, but if a disabled person is already on benefits, presumably some/all of that benefit stops when they start work. But they still need a certain income to live, so taking a lower paid job just means the taxpayer makes up the rest, anyway.

Minimum wage itself really defines what a person needs (otherwise why have a 'minimum'?) - so getting less than minimum must automatically mean more benefit is triggered, won't it?

I am not against this happening, any way to give disabled people work experience is good (and we must be prepared as taxpayers to fund it), but it's nonsense to link it to minimum pay, as that simply opens the door to scrapping the minimum wage, which, in my opinion, would be bad.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I'm not disabled,but I am severely incapacitated.My only qualification is a full driving licence and an extensive knowledge of the local area.I was a taxi driver,then a truck driver until I found I simply could not move after sleeping in the cab overnight,and the various medications I take to ease the pain make me drowsy(and downright dangerous behind the wheel of a truck)After several years being out of work,I was employed driving a pizza delivery van most evenings each week but I don't actually deliver the food(my partner does that,but she cannot drive)I do not get paid anything for driving the van,my partner does as I cannot get in & out of the van without great difficulty so my employer has two people for the price of one.I enjoy being out of the house & watching the world pass by between deliveries,and whenever I start to seize up I can simply exit the vehicle & chat to friends/other employees.Many years ago,I would drive into town & spend the evening driving round the town & chatting to friends.Now,I have my fuel bought for me to do exactly the same as I used to do for pleasure.Admittedly a small deisel van is not exactly going to give me any street cred but I'm old enough now to care not a jot what I look like to others.I'm sure this MP meant well,that all people (able bodied as well as disabled)should use whatever methods they can to get working,as once through the door they can prove to an employer their worth and negotiate a proper wage.During the 80's,I worked on many government schemes(Job Creation/Manpower Services etc)where I was given a crap basic wage(£25 I seem to recall)and given training for a few weeks,which was supposed to lead to full-time work but more often than not was used by employers to gain an employee for a few weeks on a lousy wage,then shown the door & another Job Creation scheme/Manpower Services Commision employee found,given training and then shown the door ready for the next schemes employee.

spider9:

I agree about pay not being everything, but if a disabled person is already on benefits, presumably some/all of that benefit stops when they start work.

Not at all,they can claim working tax credits(I think its changed its name now)if they work over 16hrs a week and therefore should be considerably better off than just on benefits.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Chegs

So, if one disabled person person takes a job on, say, the min wage and another (identical, let's say) takes the same job at less than the min wage - will the second be worse off than the first? Or will their benefits/tax credits etc balance it out, so that their total intake is still a 'living' wage?

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

That depends, Spder9, but the tax credit system certainly used to be such that the more you work th more you get, not the other way around.

And one would need to consider whether one could still meet all expenses and still be ok financially.

The main thing for me is the money. There are other ways of getting self esteem and so forth.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Actually my answer is nonsense.

The truth is its academic as theres no provision for the situation. However, with no extra consideration in place, th eone on minimum wage would be worse off.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?