We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MP comes under fire over disabled comment

john 52

Likes # 1

MP has suggested "vulnerable" jobseekers - including disabled people - should be allowed to work for less than the minimum wag

What a disgrace I am pleased David Cameron has quickly distanced himself from the comment. He should go further and and suspend him from the party until an apology is made by the MP

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The real problem lies in the large amount of employers that consider the minimum wage to also be the maximum wage.

If they increased employees wages in proportion to the skills learned beyond a basic starter abilities, then anyone unable to work beyond the basics (whether through learning difficulties, physical disability or a general inability to progress far) can be seen as value for that wage scale.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Comments such as his just show what a complete lack of understanding of the problems faced by people with disability's, what would he like them to do, barter for jobs.

I suppose that from his view point disabled people are second class people who should be grateful for any thing they can get, it would be justice if because of his comments he was judged to have learning problems and so should have his pay cut by about £20000 a year.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

I think that perhaps Philip Davies did not put his point in the most appropriate way. As with any commodity for sale, if the only way you can make a sale is to drop your price then maybe that is what you have to do. We have already seen this with the large influx of Eastern European workers who have done just that to undercut British workers. It is unfortunate that in this day and age that almost all employers will take the able bodied/minded in preference to physically/mentally disabled when the costs are the same. It may well be that we need to give employers some incentive to take the disabled by way of a subsidy, but then isn't that discriminating against the able bodied. It's a very difficult area to sort out when high unemployment means that there are so many people chasing so few jobs. Figures for the area that I live show 10 unemployed for every job vacancy.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I understand the logic/intention of the comment, but as said above, he could have put it better. It is also true, at least to some extent, about some employers.

It is sad that those businesses that once existed to employ the disabled, perhaps not exclusively but certainly a preference was apparent, have decreased over the years.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the mp is well out of order.

Like this post
Colin

Likes # 0

The MP only told it as it is. But he should have known how this would be viewed.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

This is the Tory party showing it`s true colors. Just imagine what they would do if they had a large enough majority.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I am pleased David Cameron has quickly distanced himself from the comment."

No doubt he did so because he knew it would attract adverse comment if he backed the MP up. He seems to be turning into a Prime Minister without any sense of direction, reacting in a knee jerk way to situations, rather than managing them.

The simple truth is that disabled people should be allowed the freedom to exercise some influence in the job market, and if that includes being prepared to work for less than the minimum then good luck to them. I think that if I was disabled and it came down to a choice between no job and one that paid under the minimum I might choose to take the job. I would do it, knowing that once I was through the door I might have a chance to prove my worth, and rapidly improve my pay rate.

As usual, there seems to be no shortage of people prepared to get all excited about something without pausing to think it through.

Like this post
john 52

Likes # 0

fourm member

It may be, in fact it is, a very uncomfortable truth

So by that comment you seem to support the comments made by the MP! what message is that sending out to prospective employers disabled people struggle with a disability and then told they are not worth the same pay rate than an able bodied person there are many disabled employees who preform better in the workplace than able bodied persons .

An employer should be able to look beyond the disability to see the potential of a candidate

To me it seems just a back door way of getting shut of the minimum wage

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

If this situation was allowed, be they disabled or otherwise, then doesn't that automatically mean that Minimum Wage legislation would no longer exist - for anyone?

Taking the original position of the Tories to the Minimum wage, when it first went through the House, I presume they would not be sorry if the whole thing disappeared, anyway.

Was this a touch of 'political kite-flying', I wonder?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......